Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Advice/Support needed

Guys I know I have not posted much on this board, but I've been an avid reader on them since Oct 2004. That was when I started taking my poker game seriously and I must say I started out really really hot. I begin playing the Party 10+1 SnGs and gradually built my bankroll up to the point where I was playing the $50+5. I never chalked up a week with a loss either. Than in the middle of Dec. I got talked into playing the Party 5/10 by a friend and I was winning that game, at the time my bankroll was only 2000. I built it up and before long I started playing the 15/30 my bankroll was only 3500 when I did this. Well my endeavor into 15/30 did not go so well. I'm not sure if its because I was playing over my head or what, but it seemed like when I played the 15/30 I was getting bad beated left and right. For instance people would raise me on the turn with gutshot straight draws and hit it. Also it seemed like the string of runner runner straights never stopped. So on and so forth, needless to say I lost my whole bankroll and I know its my fault for playing a limit I did not have enough bankroll for. My problem however is this. Since busting out I've tried to play SnGs again, rebuilding from scratch. But the string of beats has not stopped! This is driving me nuts. I have gotten AA countless amounts of times and I can honestly say the last 6 times I've gotten them, they have lost. Psychologically I'm a mess right now. My confidence is totally shot. I used to go into a SnG and expect to take first. Now if I get 3rd I'm grateful that I didn't lose money. I know this is no way to play winning poker. My question is how do you erase this mentallity of feeling like you are going to lose. I've been taking the worse of things on coin flips, which in SnGs is something that cannot be avoided. I don't want to post a list of the beats because no one cares about that except me. But I would like to know how do you get yourself into the right mentality again. Before this steak I felt my game was progressing really nicely and I felt that before the end of the year I could go pro and do this for a living. Now I'm not so sure I can even make money at this game.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Advice/Support needed

hmmmm.......cry me a river
Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 PM

If that is the general consensus of the boards than please forget I even posted this. I was posting to get an idea of how people think when they are running bad and how they get themselves out of the rut it is not a sympathy post or anything of the sort. If anyone feels this way than just ignore the post.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM

But you are whining like a little girl.

Start over small, focus on learning and studying and playing well and accept the results and move on.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM

please ignore the previous poster. reid savid is a troll. an ignorant excuse for a poker player. check his previous posts. he should go back to telling us fairy tales.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:07 PM

i'm getting tired of people bashing and flaming in the psyche forum. its bs. if you dont have something positive to contribute to a thread then dont post. i feel sorry for those of you who need to make yourselves feel better at the expense of others.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've been taking the worse of things on coin flips, which in SnGs is something that cannot be avoided.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also play SNGs, whenever I start to run bad the answer is almost always to tighten the hell up. You don't really provide a lot of details as to how you're going out, except to say that it's bad beat...

Well, when are these bad beats occurring? If you're regularly going out in 7th place to bad beats, the problem is not the bad beats, it's that you're playing waaaay too aggressively and playing for your whole stack waaaay too early. Sure, if someone pushes PF and you have AA you're calling every time, but if you're pushing anything less than near-nuts prior to the bubble you're too aggressive.

If you're going out on the bubble, are you stealing too aggressively? Are you're stealing hand standards to low? Are your calling standards too low against other player's steals? Are you targetting the wrong players to steal against (ie: Are you stealing from a big stacked LAG or calling station?)

Post some hands in the 1-table tournament forum!!
Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 PM

This is positive and good advice. Stop whining and worry about what you can control. Poker is not for sissies. This guy's problem is his attitude. Until he stops being a victim nothing is going to change for him.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:55 PM

my response wasnt really aimed at you, it was more toward the other poster. your absolutely correct about his attitude. i apologize if you took offense to my post. i always try to support my fellow 2+2ers on here with constructive criticism, which is exactly what you provided. once again my post wasnt directed specifically toward you, the fact that it was posted as a response to your post was purely coincidental. the negativity that some of our posters show toward other posters is wrong. we are here to help each other become better players, and better people, insults and mean spirited comments accomplish neither.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:19 PM

Congratulations, you have reached an important step in becoming a winning poker player. Honest!

Every player hits this point at some time in their career. Most hit it each time they try and learn a new game or move to a higher limit than they are used to. Honest.

There is so much more to being a winning player over the long run (I mean a year or more) than just understanding odds and winning some money. Honest.

Reading the posters on 2+2 with more than a few hundred posts can make one (myself included) feel worthless and weak because so many of them are making serious money playing poker. However, the quality posters here are are not like your average group of poker players. This is the cream of the crop. Honest.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Take a few days off and relax. Start playing a limit you are comfortable with losing at and give it a new start. I'm sure I have lost six times in a row starting with AA. You will get over it.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]