Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Level Increases: Bankroll vs. ROI

Not exactly. I'm mainly referring to a few high buyin SNG players (and in some cases pros) who have gone to shorthanded limit for kicks and dropped their bankroll pretty quickly.

I play SNGs and small stakes limit ring games. Although there have been a few times when my ring tables have gotten short and I've gone into bezerker mode and definitely been playing -EV.

One can certainly make plenty of $$ beating either ring or SNG games (ring is *probably* more profitable and easier given relatively equal skill levels, while SNGs has less variance and requries a lower bankroll).

My point about the short handed ring games is that while you are concentrating on familiar games with your bankroll, 'taking a shot' at some different form of hold em or poker can be devestating as many are liable to go on tilt, deciding that they can beat the new game without experience and careful study.

I am quite grateful I've only had to whether a couple of relatively minor (compared to some 2+2ers who've posted horrific periods of losses) downswings. I decided that I wanted to protect my bankroll (mainly against tilt after any very long bad runs) by using a guideline similar to what I posted.

Yugoslav
Old 12-22-2004, 02:43 PM

This is the guideline that I meant to post:

$450-$900 (10/1 SNGs)
$900-$1300 (20/2 SNGs)
$1300-$2200 (30/3 SNGs)
$2200-$4400 (50/5 SNGs)
$4400-$8600 (100/9 SNGs)
$8600+ (200/15 SNGs)

The lesson, as usual, is that I'm a huge moron, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 12-22-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was a question I asked in another thread that I thought was worth discussing (at least it has benefit to yours truly).

I am questioning the logic behind the consistent comments that you should move up a level based purely on bankroll, especially if you're earning it, vs any other measure. So, for arguments sake, why shouldn't the 'indicator' be more a combination of bankroll and ROI before moving up?

What is a good ROI (per level) that one should shoot for before considering to move up a buyin level? For example a 40%+ ROI on the $10+1s is an obvious sign to move up.

And furthermore, what is the minimum ROI for someone to accept as an obvious sign to not move up per buyin level? For example, if you're achieving a 10% ROI at the $20+2 level, and have reached a $30+3 bankroll, I wouldn't feel confident to move to the 33s.

I ask this because it is usually 'suggested' that you move up a level based on bankroll. I moved into the $30+3 bankroll level in just 33 SNGs after reaching my $20+2 bankroll level. My ROI thus far has been very high. Although the results thus far give me confidence, I am considering to see another 100-170 SNGs before I move up a level. (I lie, I will probably toss in a $33 game here and there)

Comments welcome

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't all or nothing it scuba chick, I have a friend who multitables and slow moves up. He started at $16 SnG, and then when his bankroll got high enough, started throwing in $27, and then eventually was playing half and half. After a few months he is up to half and half between $27 and $60.

Start throwing in some $30 and track the results.

One more point, there is nothing wrong with going too slow, especially if your bankroll is not easily replaced.