Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2003, 12:30 PM

Default An AQs cold-call hand

Party 3/6. I have no reads to supply you, sorry. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the cutoff. EP raises, MP cold-calls, I cold-call. Generally I muck AQo to early position raises unless I have a specific read on the player, but I think that AQs is too strong of a hand to muck. I decided to cold-call instead of re-raise to keep others in in case I am in fact dominated by AK or AA-QQ and am playing mainly for the Flush. I don't think that this was a re-raise or fold situation, but I am curiosu what others think.

Button folds, SB calls, BB folds. 4 to the Flop for 9sb.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, EP bets, MP calls, I raise, SB cold-calls, EP and MP call. 4 to the Turn for 17sb (8bb).

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

All check to me, I bet, SB raises, EP folds, MP re-raises, I fold. Results later.

-Brian
Old 12-16-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Re: An AQs cold-call hand

If you're really think you'll be playing just for the flush, you should fold. You should only coldcall if you think there's a good chance you're not dominated by both.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:36 PM

SB acted like someone sitting on a set, and then it gets raised again by another. Can't argue with the fold.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Hey Brian--

I would probably play this the same way, but I agree with Tyler... if you play it you're playing for more than just the flush. Without a read, and knowing it's party, you might actually dominate the EP preflop raiser (it's not unusual for him to have AJ or KQs, or maybe even TT or JJ). I'd pay attention to the hand in hopes of him showing down what he raised with pf.

I think you played it fine. Did SB have 77 or 88?
Old 12-16-2003, 12:43 PM

Hi Tyler,

At the time, if I had known that EP had AK or AA-QQ, then yes, I agree 100% that I should fold. However, because I was new to the table, I had no way of knowing if he was a tight raiser, a loose raiser, or a typical raiser, and AQs is too strong of a hand to fold unless you are very sure that you are dominated. AQs plays well in multi-way pots, which is what I am probably going to get if I cold-call here. In other words, I think that folding is absurd.

So it comes down to re-raise or cold-call. Part of the reason to re-raise with these sorts of hands is to keep the pot short-handed so that I can win unimproved. And if I had AQo, I am fairly certain that the play would be to re-raise or fold. But with AQs, I don't think that cold-calling is out of the question, because I don't mind having a multi-way pot with this hand in late position. I think that most on these forums will say to re-raise because the situation to cold-call comes up very rarely, but I'm interested to see if anyone agrees with the cold-call.

-Brian
Old 12-16-2003, 12:45 PM

Hi Rock,

Certainly, I am playing the hand for more than just the Flush value. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I am going to play my hand strongly if I Flop an Ace or Queen.

-Brian
Old 12-16-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Results

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

All check to me, I bet, SB raises, EP folds, MP re-raises, I fold. SB caps it, MP calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, MP calls.

SB has 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the Flopped monster draw.
MP has 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

-Brian
Old 12-16-2003, 07:11 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Well I'm not a huge fan of the cold call. It really feels like a raise or fold hand especially from the CO. I'm not comfortable 3 betting na UTG raiser(who I don't know) with this hand though so I'm probably looking to muck.

Te rest of the hand looks good. Normally when you've bet and been raised and reraised on the turn TPTK is no good.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:25 PM

Meh you played it fine. Coldcall is OK here in typical loose LL games.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, because I was new to the table, I had no way of knowing if he was a tight raiser, a loose raiser, or a typical raiser, and AQs is too strong of a hand to fold unless you are very sure that you are dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhhh...unless the EP raiser is coming in with KQs or AJs, there aren't many reasonable EP raising hands that your're not behind at this point.

[ QUOTE ]
AQs plays well in multi-way pots, which is what I am probably going to get if I cold-call here. In other words, I think that folding is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do three players equate to a "multi-way pot," except in the most literal sense? If the button and blinds all fold, you're getting less than 3:1 on your bet. And for what--the chance at a four-flush? You have to know that if you flop TP you may be drawing very thin.

[ QUOTE ]
So it comes down to re-raise or cold-call. Part of the reason to re-raise with these sorts of hands is to keep the pot short-handed so that I can win unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my first comment about the limited assortment of hands against which you will win unimproved.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that most on these forums will say to re-raise because the situation to cold-call comes up very rarely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you'ld be wrong--since I assume most good players would say that it would be foolhardy to 3-bet with AQs against an EP raiser and a coldcaller. In fact, I think that more than 50% of good players would say to simply muck this hand without a second thought, especially given your lack of knowledge about any of the other players at this table.