Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 06:23 AM

Default Three big bad beats in a row

Im quite new to poker (playing 4 weeks now) though experienced at game-playing (playing at master level chess)
After testing a bit with play money i decided to try it for real money at party, where i soon played NL $50 and some $100.
Though i dont have much poker experience yet the games were very soft and i managed to be +$275 after a week and about 1k hands. Until yesterday, were all my winnings where nullified. I got very big starting hands, bet big preflop and... lost big

1) I have AKo in early position, raise 4BB preflop, get 4(!) callers, flop is A and 2 rags, i bet pot, get raised for another 5BB by someone else, call, he has AQ and hits a Queen on river

2) I have AA in early position, make it 4BB to go, get raised to 8BB by same player as before, everyone folds, i reraise to 20. Flop is 3 rags of Hearts, not what i like...
I decided to go all in with my remaining 40BB, he calls and hits a fourth heart to make nutflush with AKo.

3) I again have AA in early position, decided to limp because board was very aggressive, someone who overbetted almost every hand bets 15BB (!) i raise allin (50BB), he calls. Board is QQ 3 rags, he wins with QTs (!)

Is this just normal, am I playing this espacially bad or
do i just have to wait until my luck comes back? Normally i would say i would be happy to repeat all these plays (only in case 2 im not so sure) and i have to get much +EV in the long run, but my bankroll tells me now dont do that...
I think i will have to go back to lower limits for first to build it up again, but still cant be believe how bad these plays (especially in case 3) from my opponents were.
Any comments?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Three big bad beats in a row

Hand 1, nothing much you can do here, he hit his 3 outer on the river, it happens.

Hand 2- After the re-raise, I like to push in these
situations. Especially in these mini NL games on party where stacks sizes are typically not very deep because of the 50X BB cap on the buy in.
Your opponent (not knowing you had rockets) had good odds to call an additional 12BB into a pot that was already over 12BB. Make him pay to see a flop here.

High pocket pairs in early position need to be raised more than 4X the BB, atleast 6X the BB here.

Hand 3-Perfect situation, this is the best you can hope for in NL, all in p/f with A/A. Just bad results.

These hands are all fairly common, you just encountered some bad luck which happens all the time.

I like the idea of moving down and building up your BR before moving up, especially if your new to online play like in your case.
Keep a minimum of 10-15 buy ins for the level your playing at. It is essential to get you through any prolonged slump you may be in, and is good for the psyche knowing you have reserves.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 AM

I WASN'T GOING TO DO IT TO A NEW POSTER, BUT WITH THE "MASTER LEVEL CHESS" COMMENT, I COULDN'T RESIST, ITS LIKE DRIVING A RED CONVERTABLE SPORTS CAR...YOU'RE JUST ASKING FOR IT.
------------------------------------------------------------

PEOPLE HAVE 1 OF 2 REACTIONS TO YOUR BAD BEAT STORY:

1. THEY DON’T CARE.

2. THEY ARE HAPPY.

PLEASE POST YOUR BAD BEAT STORIES AT www.RIVEREDAGAIN.com AND QUIT CLUTTERING UP MY FORUM.

-BAD BEAT POLICE [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

P.S. YOU OWE ME $1.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:38 PM

Geez, I'm wondering why my weekly visitors have doubled over the last few weeks... I don't need to wonder any more. Thanks BBP for helping to clear our forums out, and sending the beats my way...

BTW, I've got a RiveredAgain t-shirt for ya, just drop me a message. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-16-2004, 05:14 PM

Your play is fine and this is normal. Be happy that you are playing in games where you get these kinds of situations - even if the swings can be big.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:17 PM

I wouldnt have done it to a new poster. You want to make them feel comfortable here.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 PM

i actually tried to find something wrong with your playing since it seemed so correct. you played good dude. bad beats happen and suck. "in the long run" youll be fine and in the money. but i agree to start with lower buy-in NL to build a roll. not cause u cant handle it but because it is good a good habit and practice to stich within your bank roll TRUST ME
welcome to 2+2
Old 08-20-2004, 07:05 AM

Thanks for your comments (although i dont know what a bad beat Police could be good for lol).
I recovered from these bad beats and am again $300 up, but still have problems with these damn pocket-aces. Now its not so much bad beats, but i often just get no action, when i raise like 6BB from late position, all i get is stealing blinds (and that cant be all, could it?). When im in early position i mostly prefer limping and reraising big when the table is aggressive, this works fine so far. I think pocket aces are my biggest loser so far, while kings followed by queens my biggest winner...
Old 08-20-2004, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think pocket aces are my biggest loser so far

[/ QUOTE ]

This simply cannot be correct.