Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2003, 12:04 AM

Default The blatant hypicrisy of pro athletes

Every time a pro athlete demands a renegotiation after a good year (or even an average one), I shake my head. Then, of course, something like this comes along that allows me to shake my head again - only this time left-to-right, rather than right-to-left.

The following exerpt, from today's Oregonian, describes the plight of one-time NBA All-Star Damon Stoudamire, currently relegated to the end of the red-hot Blazers bench. Currently, poor Damon is making over $12 million with $13 and $15 million due in '04 and '05.

---------------------------
He won't accept a salary cut -- in the guise of "renegotiation" -- to facilitate a trade to get him to a team that will use him more, whether that deal is being discussed before next Thursday's trade deadline or over the summer.

"I would never renegotiate my contract," said Stoudamire, who has not played in the last three games. "I mean, that would be dumb. If it's meant for me to ride out my contract and stay here in Portland for the next 21/2 years and not play a minute, then that's what it was meant to be."

Stoudamire said that if deferring some of his salary might get a trade done, "then we can do that. I mean, if you want to backload my contract and I get the money at a later date, I'm fine with that. I'm going to honor my contract like they're going to honor my contract."
----------------------------

Interesting how little virtue their is in "honoring" a contract when it's for $1.2 million after a breakout season rather than $12 million after you've lost the starting job for the 3rd year in a row.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 AM

Default Re: The blatant hypicrisy of pro athletes

well the only variable (other than possible bankruptcy) is the quality of the athletes play.

unfortunately for the owners, this is under labors control. heh

Old 02-17-2003, 01:36 AM

Default Re: The blatant hypicrisy of pro athletes

The thing is that holdouts really only occur in the NFL nowadays, with a rare exception in the NHL. The NBA and MLB are essentially holdout free leagues.

And the NFL is unique because the contracts aren't guaranteed, and teams frequently threaten players with the "renegotiate or we'll cut you" ploy, so by my way of thinking, that makes it perfectly fine for the players to say "renegotiate or I won't play".

In the leagues with guaranteed contracts, I have no sympathy with either side. You made your bed, lie in it.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:34 AM

Default Re: The blatant hypocrisy of pro athletes

I didn't think you could renegotiate NBA contracts; musta changed in the last labor settlement.

My favorite is college football coaches leaving the school the day after letter of intent signing day, or after the school gets put on probabtion. George 'Resume' O'Leary did the latter at the HIGH SCHOOL level! [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2003, 12:01 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: The blatant hypicrisy of pro sports fans

isnt it also hypocritical to bitch about players demands, but then support them by going to the games and buying the merchandise that helps pay their salary? the reason many players will try and get away with holding out for more money, and succeed, is because the fans will be bitching about how greedy they are as they enter the turnstile to get their ticket ripped in half....

b