Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2004, 11:17 PM

Default Giving your hand away to induce a fold (Limit)

Lately my monster hands have been getting outdrawn by loose players who have no idea what bubble strategy is. Say I have pocket QQ would it be ok to type, "I have QQ" in a situation where I am against an overly protective big blind that will call with Ax in any situation. After the flop comes xxx rainbow I wish I could give my hand away to discourage anymore drawing. How unethical is this play?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Giving your hand away to induce a fold (Limit)

In live play you would lose the hand as soon as you gave away what you had. It is considered unethical. I don't see why on-line play should be any different.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:31 PM

Play more hands. Eventually you will start to get paid off instead of drawn out on.

Where are the bad beat police when you need them?
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 AM

I tend to like to gain chips with the best hands, QQ no doubt being one of them, on the bubble or not. He is making a mistake by drawing with one overcard to any flop, and others' mistakes make you money (or chips). Also, if he is calling with A high on an xxx flop he probably already thinks he is drawing to one overcard, so announcing your hand would not change his mind.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:02 AM

Whether it's unethical or not it's a horrible play.

If you tell someone your hand heads up, they can easily make the correct play.

When they play correctly, you don't win anything.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:09 AM

Don't you want Axo to call you?
Old 09-24-2004, 02:10 AM

Hi poindexter,

[ QUOTE ]
Lately my monster hands have been getting outdrawn by loose players who have no idea what bubble strategy is. Say I have pocket QQ would it be ok to type, "I have QQ" in a situation where I am against an overly protective big blind that will call with Ax in any situation. After the flop comes xxx rainbow I wish I could give my hand away to discourage anymore drawing. How unethical is this play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether it's unethical is irrelevant; it's simply bad poker. Remember, the FTOP says that whenever your opponents play exactly as they would if they could see your cards, they gain, and you lose. What you've done is to ensure that they can't make an FTOP mistake against you, unless they miscalculate pot odds, etc.

Yes, good hands (like QQ) get outdrawn. It happens. That being said, when you bet with the best hand, and provided your opponent isn't getting the right price to call you ... you actually want him to call. Provided you're betting enough to kill his pot odds, he's making an FTOP mistake to call your QQ with Ax. Over the long run, those mistakes add up to money in your bankroll.

However, one problem that you can encounter, especially at limit games, is the "schooling effect" of fishy players. That is, because so many of them are calling, they end up giving each other correct odds to chase you, even if you're betting your hand. Ironically, because they're all playing badly, they end up playing correctly!

The way to combat that is to revalue your hands. "Edge pairs" (QQ-TT) diminish in value when the schooling effect is in play. Strong drawing hands go up in value, because you'll be getting good odds to play them, and the pots are most likely to be won by "improved hands."

In short, when the fish are schooling, you need to adopt more of an Omaha strategy, looking to make sets, straights, flushes, and full houses ... get out when you can't make a hand ... and charge them like heck when you do.

Good luck!

Cris
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 AM

This isn't unethical--it's stupid. You WANT people to chase you in these situations. In the long run, you'll earn far more than you lose when the fish stay in.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In live play you would lose the hand as soon as you gave away what you had. It is considered unethical. I don't see why on-line play should be any different.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you wouldn't not HU, I don't see a problem with it, other than the fact its idiotic, lol. Man these bad beat stories get more subtle everyday, or is it just me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regards Mack
Old 09-24-2004, 11:36 AM

Don't play any hands, that way you will never be outdrawn.

-SmileyEH