Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Slow play/varied play - Feedback requested, three hands

[ QUOTE ]

um there is a huge difference between risking 2bets to win 1.5bets, and risking 1bet to win 2.5bets .. its not even close

secondly you still have the button to consider in addition to the blinds, how he plays is very important in deciding what to do .. but opening 54o is almost never gonna be correct

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a pretty good point, actually a couple of good points. So what kinds of hands are open raises in CO? Good thing I posted this hand...after the result I could have gone on like this for years!!
Old 08-07-2005, 09:21 AM

Maybe its just me, but I think that you are slowplaying too much. I hate slowplaying.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:28 AM

[blind post]

I don't mind mixing up play once-in-a-while, but it looks like you're overusing it a bit here.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Not sure what's going on here. Yes, your PFR numbers should be higher from late position, but unless you have a read that the button and the blinds are super-tight, this play will be -EV in the long run.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you're getting much here, regardless of how you play it. When a PFR checks the flop and C/R the turn, it looks reeeaaally scary to everyone else. Again, unless you have a read here, (in this case that SB will call down with anything) just play this straight-forward.

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just bet the turn. Why would anyone think you have the flush - you bet the flop! (Which was correct, of course.)

Again, I think mixing up your play can be important. Fortunately, most players don't pay attention enough, so your tricky plays don't work - just bet.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:53 AM

This one is better with the betting, but still not sure about the CO raise.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

I like the idea of mixing it up by not trying to be so tricky always...just bet. I am a little focused on trying to make sure I get I get big bets out of these guys on every big hand. I tell you, though, it has been working real well...but I know I need to play smarter to move up and win.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This one is better with the betting, but still not sure about the CO raise.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.75.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

I like the idea of mixing it up by not trying to be so tricky always...just bet. I am a little focused on trying to make sure I get I get big bets out of these guys on every big hand. I tell you, though, it has been working real well...but I know I need to play smarter to move up and win.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm also not sure about the CO raise. Post-flop, looks pretty straightforward, and pretty solid.

Search the heads up and short handed forum, and this forum, for a 6 max starting hand chart. That is one, but I think there are others, and some discussion to look at. That should give you a better feel for opening standards in late position.