Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Re: The next thing in fantasy...

Anything by Neil Gaiman. While not strictly fantasy, it's really awesome stuff. American Gods, Neverland. Taking its stance in our world, but twisting it very cleverly.
Also, if you havn't read it, Bad Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett, extraordinarily funny

Orson Scott Card:s Alvin Maker series is not bad. Also his Ender series is fantastic, although SF rather than fantasy
Old 08-17-2004, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. Also check out Mordant's Need, same author.

The Vlad Taltos series, Steven Brust.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist.

Bio of a Space Tyrant, Piers Anthony.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have read the Thomas Covenant books and I enjoyed the first series but found it very tough going, its more high brow fantasy than the belgariad etc. I wuld read the Morgants need series first is enjoyable but will get you used to his writing style.

Tad Williams is good as well.

For more light weight fantasy then to my mind there is none better than David Gemmell have really enjoyed everything he has done and have even reread a few of his books multiple times.

Another heavyweight series is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, is up to book 10 each one 6-800 pages so pleanty of reading in it.

I also echo the pratchett comments I like his work as well dunno how well the humour comes across for americans as it seems more british humour to me.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:12 AM

Heh, Vehn emailed me a link to this thread before he went to bed - he knew I would be interested.
The Vlad Taltos series by Brust is FANTASTIC (and since he's a poker player, he may just see this message!). I can't recommend it stronglty enough. I wasn't too hip to the stuff he wrote with Emma Bull, or to the "elf" books that accompany the Taltos series, but the Taltos books themselves are pure gold IMHO.
Dennis McKiernan - I am shocked (shocked, I say!) that no one has mentioned this man so far. Great epic-style fantasy, without the neverending aspect of Jordan. He also never once has a female character yank her braid at a man ... Start with Caverns of Socrates for a really cool fantasy/scifi twist, especially cool if you are (or ever were ) into PnP games or MUDs.
Anything by SM Stirling - technically these novels are scifi as they fall under they speculative fiction category, but I generally consider them fanasty as the story begins with "what would have happened if XXXX". One series sends the island of Nantucket back to the bronze age. Conquistador opens a portal from post WWII California back in time, and the Peshawar Lancers begins with an ice age descending on Victorian England.

Hopefully these will keep you busy for a while =)
Regards,
Vehn's Woman
Old 08-17-2004, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Vlad Taltos series by Brust is FANTASTIC (and since he's a poker player, he may just see this message!). I can't recommend it stronglty enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. The Taltos books are awesome. I also LOVED Agyar.

Add me to the GRR Martin fan list- really a great story. I have to disagree with the Salvatore fans, however. I have LOATHED every book of his I have read (only 2 or 3). Even if he wrote the 2nd coming of LotR, I still could never forgive him for unleashing the abomination that is Drizz't onto the unsuspecting fantasy lit public.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:09 PM

I just want to add, The Martin series is incredible. In fact I use Wintercomes@yahoo. com as one of my e-mail adresses.

However, the time between books drives me nuts. I smoke(d) too much ganja ganja to be reading a series one book every two years in a series. I have decided to put the entire series on old indefenitely until a couple more are out, than starting over at the beginning again. The lag drives me nuts and I can't remember the details well enough going into the next book....

If you like Science Fiction, like many fantasy readers do, try most books by Ian Banks. I really enjoy his stories.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:18 PM

I don't remember the series, but McKiernan had something that was a straight-up ripoff of LOTR and I never read him again.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:26 PM

Hi all-
Thanks for all the great ideas. I ordered "The Dragonbone Chair" for my next epic. I have marked this thread to keep me busy for a while.

Il_Mostro:
You are right on with Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game and the folling books (Ender's Shadow, et. al.) are absolutely amazing.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:34 PM

I have to disagree with the Salvatore fans, however. I have LOATHED every book of his I have read (only 2 or 3). Even if he wrote the 2nd coming of LotR, I still could never forgive him for unleashing the abomination that is Drizz't onto the unsuspecting fantasy lit public.

I agree with you for all Drizz't books after the first 4-5. The first three are an A+ with much self exploration and introspection on the part of Drizz't. After the 4th book or so Salvatore resorts to what I call the "Star Wars Problem", e.g. no character development, simply "see Drizz't (Luke) run, see Drizz't (Luke) jump, see Drizz't (Luke)fight.

I really recommend that anyone read the first book and see if you change your mind... Look at the reviews from the first book highlighted below.

Homeland by R.A. Salvatore
Old 08-17-2004, 07:32 PM

Excellent choice. That's really a great series.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:59 PM

bump