Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2004, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Advice on Bubble Hand

seems like a tough decision to me. if it were me, i'd put him on overcards or a small pocket pair. i'd probably think my chances were a coin flip, thinking that overcards are more probable based on the bet. the problem is that your stack isn't quite big enough to wait for the small stack to blind out.

here's the problem with folding and wanting to be the one putting in the bet: you're on a short stack with two much bigger stacks. whenever you're on the button or in the co position, you're going to have one of the big stacks in the blinds, making it harder to steal. you won't have time to wait for aces, so you'll likely end up putting your money in at about 50/50 anyway.

so, unless the small stack is a complete fool, i'd say call. you probably won't have a chance like this again, even though it's probably only a coin flip. tryign to outlast the short stack is a problem because you only have 600 more than him. if he doubles up or even just magically picks up a blind or two, you're in dire straits. i'd say call.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Advice on Bubble Hand

I absolutely agree that pulling a decent size pot or doubling up 4 or 5 handed is the way to win these tourneys. And it is quite possible that I won't be in a slight favourite/coinflip situation again. Of course, I would prefer to be the first in but folding here and pushing IF I get a reasonable hand on the button will undoubtedly get a call and just another coinflip. Only then I'll be pulling in less chips and be doubling up into a position that isn't even on the level with the big stacks. I think in this situation he would just call or min raise with a pocket pair QQ-AA, and would pull this move with all other of the suggested holdings. I just happened to see one of the 4 that killed me (88-JJ).

I knew this call was close, just wanted some other perspectives on this.