Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: A question for those with a MBA or business professionals in gener

Read 'The One Minute Manager' and Dale Carnegie's book.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: A question for those with a MBA or business professionals in general

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a difficult to resist job offer doing research at a University setting. I have an advanced science degree with strong backgrounds in CS, biology, chemistry and bioinformatics. Although I love my work, I've often wondered if I would be happier in the business setting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This paragraph kind of makes weird disharmonic music go off in my head at the end. The grass is always greener...
Old 08-31-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DON'T Read 'The One Minute Manager' and Dale Carnegie's book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-31-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, as for my interests I am not sure. I could see myself running a pharmaceutical company one day. I wasn't expecting people to actually look at the courses. I appreciate it though. In my field people want Bioinformaticians that understand Unix, Perl, C++, Markov models and SQL. Those are primary needs that counselors don't tell you. I still can't find a course bulletin on that link. I'm going to IU tomorrow. I will ask for a course list when I get there and post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not really interested in pursuing a degree consider this. I go to the U. of Chicago MBA program right now and they offer a BioPharma club that discusses business issues relating to the industry. I would assume with Indiana being a pipeline to Eli Lilly that they have something similar. Perhaps you can join their club or at least attend meetings.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:06 PM

The business law or the micro classes would be the most helpful in real life. no idea how they compare with the other classes on a resume.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: A question for those with a MBA or business professionals in general

I would suggest a Financial Statement Analysis-type of class. If, for nothing else, it will help you if you decide to try and manage your own personal investments.

It would help to have some grounding in accounting, but you certainly don't need a hardcore intro course where all you learn is how to make journal entries.

Honestly, most MBA classes are pretty fluffy, common-sense stuff, but mine's been good to me, so I don't say this too loudly.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm at IU right now. Walking into the business school I couldn't stop counting how many women I wanted to boink. But anyway. I walked over to the graduate wing which is 1000x nicer than any other building on IU's campus. The MIS/Finance office said their classes are too integrated for me to take just one. I was like "Lady, that's a bunch of bullshit and you know it.", but I bit my tongue. Anyway, I left that wing and went to a desk with a bunch of plasma screens that were showing the symbol "IU" and that's it. I was like "that is one expensive poster".

Turns out I can take a single MBA class. I just can't take a Management Information Systems class or and class through that department. Those classes double as an MBA class btw.

I have to schedule a meeting (no walk-ins) with an advisor and get the signature of both the Professor and the Dean to sign up.

The course bulletin isn't online. Well it is, you just need the password. Thanks for the advice to all those who responded. I will keep you updated.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:09 PM

I was gonna say that it sounds like some type of MIS class but now it sounds like you can't take one. I have my BA in finance and am halfway to my MSA, with the classes I've taken I would say definitely DO NOT take a management course. Very very rarely you can find a good one with a great prof, but usually they are just memorizing buzz words and processes that are just common sense in the first place. I've hated these classes because they are so damn soft. I have no idea of what MIS classes are actually like but with your potential programming needs, they could really help you out i think. If you can't get into one of those I suggest some type of intro econ or finance, you seem like a smart enough guy so i'm sure you could handle most finance classes without having the overlap of other classes. I also wouldn't take an acct class, just not that valuable unless you really know accounting and you won't through any type class you could possibly jump into. Hope this helps.