Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2004, 02:09 PM

Default Informal poll

Do you get called an idiot daily in your SnGs? I know I am not an idiot because of my return, so it doesn't affect me - joke's on them.

But I'm curious if most winning players get called idiots as often as I do. I think it may be that most simply don't understand how hand values change in the endgame when blinds are high.

Often I have people telling me they have a note on me : "clown", "idiot", "moron", "fish", etc. Do you get this a lot?

eastbay
Old 11-12-2004, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Informal poll

I get it a little, usually if I defend to a mini-raise with some utter garbage in level one and connect, or at the end of the tourney where I call with 93s in the BB and put someone's AJo out.

I'd say once in 15-20 SNGs.

Lori
Old 11-12-2004, 02:24 PM

I'd say a fair amount, especially headup on the end. If I make it to the money in say three out of my four games then I'll often just take on the strategy of pushing and calling with any two.

The comments will always be one of two extremes. "Idiot", "Fish", "Moron" or, "You play well", "Are you a 2+2'er?".

Only my opinion,

Zephyr

I get called that among other things. One from last night still a little fresh in my memory. I'm dealt TT in MP I call, it is raised 3BB's which I call along w/ 3 others. Flop comes K high. It's checked to the button who bets T20 into an almost T500 pot, everyone folds including the pf raiser except me I call getting almost 25:1. The turn is a blank and I call another T20 bet from the button. the river is checked down and he shows AK. The pf raiser starts lambasting me for having the 3rd best hand and being a fish, even after I explained to him why I called and why he should have as well. He ended up busting out next and I took 2cd.

I get called an idiot just about every day. Its just too easy to call someone whatever you want when you dont have to look them in the face.

By far the most common is "Moron".

Best thing to do is agree and tell them to put in their notes. If your lucky, they will actually think you are an idiot.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get it a little, usually if I defend to a mini-raise with some utter garbage in level one and connect, or at the end of the tourney where I call with 93s in the BB and put someone's AJo out.

I'd say once in 15-20 SNGs.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like I get it more than that. Maybe 1 in 6 or 8.

My style late often turns hyperaggressive if I smell weakness (tight calling standards). So if I blind someone down to a couple BB, then put him in with J8s and he happens to have a caught an A and I suckout, this is the kind of thing which will set people off. He thinks he showed great discipline and waited patiently to make the "smart play" by defending with a strong hand. This simply doesn't fly in the PP structure.

eastbay
Old 11-12-2004, 02:27 PM

I tend to play Stars or UB where you make these plays a little less often, that probably accounts for the difference.

Lori
Old 11-12-2004, 02:29 PM

I get called everything in the book, but mostly because I make stupid comments early on like "I'm good at poker". It irritates the hell out of people and I find my huge bets get called down more frequently in the early stages by people who 1) hate me or 2) think I'm a fish.

When it gets 4 handed I'll start entering intelligent poker related messages to attempt to reverse my table image and increase my steal success rate.

I really have no empirical evidence to suggest this works, but its hilarious so I keep chatting. The more you get these guys to type something the better read you can get on them...
Old 11-12-2004, 02:38 PM

Here is the main situation where I get called an idiot.

I am big stack, blinds are massive. Small stack pushes 900 chips. I look down at 56 and call the extra 500 chips on top of the 400 bb. Bust his A 9 etc etc.... this I always get called an idiot for. Happens quite often, making calls purely based on pot odds and 'sucking out' when you are like a 45/55 dog.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:49 PM

I would say that >50% of the SNGs in which I finish 5th or higher, there's some angry chat directed towards me. Here are the 10 most common comments:

1. Moron
2. Idiot
3. Keep it up, moron
4. Keep it up, idiot
5. Do you just push every hand, idiot?
6. You're an idiot, moron
7. You're a complete moron
8. Takes a lot of skill to play like that, idiot.
9. That's BS
10. You suck

Irieguy