Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 05:24 AM

Default ON JURY NULLIFICATION

Well Ray Zee first mentioned it in this thread, and now I have looked it up.

The interesting thing is I DO believe in jury nullification, but I didn't know there was a term for it.

For several weeks I have been trying to figure out how I could explain to the court that I would find it very hard to convict a non-violent criminal of an offense that could result in his being placed in a jail or prison, even if I was certain he was guilty. My thoughts on this are that since jails and prisons are often dangerous places, where an inmate may be assaulted, knifed, raped or killed, it is highly immoral to place a non-violent offender there. If someone's punishment is doing time it should not also be being endangered. So until the prisons are made safe, I just cannot see sending non-violent offenders there, generally speaking. Also, I do not think any "victimless crimes" should be punishable by law. I would also be against the death penalty in nearly all cases.

That said, I think I might be doing my civic duty better if I do not inform the court of these views unless asked. Heck I might be able to save someone from an unjust and dangerous punishment.

Link to page on jury nullification:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/v21n1/jury.html
Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 AM

Default Re: Court Advice Sought

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
well, I guess we could feel sorry for the fat slob who sits around on his ass all day and can now only fit into sweat pants

_OR_

We could say that he is personally responsible for his bad condition and inability to meet even minimum tasks required by society.

I mean, show up dressed nice for jury duty. The inhumanity of it all!

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally agree with you on politics man, but your posts in this thread have just been bush league.

Ripping on M6 because of his weight is totally lame and uncalled for.

You should be ashamed. I know I am for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, showing a total lack of class.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: ON JURY NULLIFICATION

You sound like the bleeding heart liberal I always knew you secretly were. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Seriously though, well said.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:36 AM

It's OK, Nicky--he is just being his normal eight-year-old self. Kids have to be kids, after all.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:54 AM

Go to bed man. The crazy hours you keep can't be good for you.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 AM

I hope you can get healthy soon M6. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will become.

Remember that once you start following a diet it will get much easier.

I hope this will spring you into action so you will not encounter the many potential health risks down the line. Good luck sir.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:31 AM

First -- don't get too bent out of shape at being called to jury duty. The first day you'll be in a room with a lot of other people who have also been called. Someone from the court will organize your big group into smaller jury panels and will send you to a courtroom. From there, your smaller group will be asked questions by the judge and/or the lawyers for both sides. That process is called "voir dire." During that process, the attorneys will have a chance to strike people from the panel. You well may be stricken during that process and won't have to serve on the jury. If you have strong beliefs about the particular case, you may be able to answer certain of the voir dire questions in such a way that you either are stricken for cause or by the choice of the lawyers. If you want to act unethically, you could answer certain questions contrary to your true beliefs and virtually ensure your being stricken from the panel.

Second -- If you are picked, the suggestion above that you ask the baliff to communicate to the judge your inability to purchase a suit is a very good one. If that fails, and you feel like pushing things, wearing a decent pair of Dockers and a collared shirt should be all you need to meet the court's (not the particular judge's) dress code. Unless you have a note from a doctor, I cannot envision wearing sweat pants is going to work.

I have to run to a meeting but I'll post more in a little while if you'd find it helpful.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus was killed by conservative religious leaders who didn't like his liberal teachings.

[/ QUOTE ]

"And lo, you jackasses took this argument to the politics forum, for it was decreed that that was where the [censored] thing belonged."

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD
Old 06-13-2005, 07:30 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-13-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

POTD FOR MARCH 17th

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Thread necromancy should really be a ban-able offence.