Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM

Default If I can easily 12-table on one monitor - can I 16-table on 4?

Similarly to chisness, I 12-table the 33s and play tons of hours (I try to have 10-hour sessions daily, but take some days off every now and then)

My ROI should hopefully still be at least 15% ($5 pr tourny), but I'm not really sure yet, since I've only played about 800 33s since I started 12-tabling. (started off with an interesting downswing where I was down about 15 buy-ins over 350 tournies! (wow) - but things turned around and I seem to be on track now...

I do feel that I now 12-table as well as I used to 8-table.

I've also tried to 13-table for many hours, but since the extra table wasn't on a party skin I felt it took up more extra energy than it was worth to have it in the mix...

Anyway, here's the thing:

I do all this on one monitor... Overlap galore, but I'm used to it...

I've been thinking of getting myself one of those cool setups you guys have, and I probably will pretty soon.

Anyway, here's my question:

When I can comfortably 12-table on one monitor (without timing out or stuff like that) - will I be able to 16-table on 4 monitors?

Is the advantage of multiple monitors that big?

Has anyone of you multitablers "measured" the difference?

btw. after the new blind structure I guess multitabling might have become harder... maybe hard enough that 16-tabling is "impossible" (?)
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: If I can easily 12-table on one monitor - can I 16-table on 4?

what are your reasons for mulittabling, rather than diving into the $50+5?

if you're able to play so many tables, why not make your life easier by purchasing the necessary other monitors & setup.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM

i doubt 12 is.. comfortable.. however i dont think it would be a stretch that if 12 is cake on 1 monitor, 16 wouldnt be too tough on 4. i have talked to a few people that have tried it though, and they all hate it. good luck. holla
Old 06-20-2005, 03:31 PM

The reason I'm not moving up to the 55s is that they're a little more complicated (1000 instead of 800 chips), has higher competition and lasts longer.

I've played a few hundred 109s and think I can be profitable in those, but with my abc-approach I doubt I'd be able to make more than $6 - $7 pr tourny, which is not that much more than I make in the 33s, but with longer-lasting tournies and 10 times the swings...

btw when I say "comfortable" 12-tabling, I mean that in the sense that I can stand doing it for 10 hours straight without being overly stressed out... It doesn't mean I have a lot of fun doing it, though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

For now I'm happy being an abc-multitabler, though. I try to make a (to me) lot of money as quickly as possible - and am saving this to put into other investments.

(i doubt poker will be as easy as it is now for too long)
Old 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM

I'd hate to be at one of your tables. Whenever I see people taking forever to act I always suspect they are multi-tabling too many.

I doubt you'd have trouble 16-tabling on 4 monitors if you can do 12 on 1.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:45 PM

12 tables on one monitor? That's impressive. Do you just "tile" the windows and go from game to game as it beeps? Logisitically that seems like a nightmare. And I hope you are taking some precautions to avoid carpal/tunnel injuries.

As to your question, if you don't have problems managing twelve you can probably manage 16 with minimal additional hassle. I actually think adding the additonal monitors may slow you down if it takes longer to scroll across two screens than click onto a tiled window. Your ability to make reads will be better with four windows though.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I'm not moving up to the 55s is that they're a little more complicated (1000 instead of 800 chips), has higher competition and lasts longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're doing pretty much what I'm doing for the exact same reasons. I'm now 8 tabling the $33s at a healthy profit, and while I technically have well beyond the bankroll I originally planned for myself before moving up to the $55s, I'm not as enthusiastic about doing so for the reasons you listed. I also consider myself on the weak side skill wise so I know it would take a lot of extra time and devotion to becoming a successful player, both at and away from the table. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is time consuming and I'll have a lot more time during the school year. For now, I'm just focusing on my ABCs and multitabling skills (things that are easy to do while still making money). I'll decide later if the move up is worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
For now I'm happy being an abc-multitabler, though. I try to make a (to me) lot of money as quickly as possible - and am saving this to put into other investments.

[/ QUOTE ]

You took the words right out of my mouth. Right now I have a well paying internship, so I'm considering using my poker winnings to leverage myself in some investing oppurtunities. Subconsciously, I don't even consider my poker money real money. It's just kind of a number to me.

Once school starts back up I might use it as some income then, but for now my summer internship covers everything I need plus more, so my poker money just sits there (except for when I cash out to pay for poker related things). I've driven it up to a few grand since I've gotten out of school and haven't touched it otherwise.

[ QUOTE ]
(i doubt poker will be as easy as it is now for too long)

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
12 tables on one monitor? That's impressive. Do you just "tile" the windows and go from game to game as it beeps? Logisitically that seems like a nightmare.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://home.comcast.net/~umterp/12table-3.jpg

I'd attempted more than 12 on one monitor, but I start to have problems keeping up if I get shorthanded on more than half of them at once. I don't have any problems with 12 though.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:37 PM

People have 20-tabled on one monitor.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:00 PM

Is it possible for me to 4 table on my 15 inch sony lcd monitor?