Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 AM

Default Variance at Party Sngs

I have been hearing a lot about how much better the structure is at Stars vs Party. There seems to be some consensus that despite the worse players at party, good win rates will be plagued by high amounts of variance. It is unclear to me how this can be so.

If a player has a 40-50% $$$rate at stars, and a 40-50% $$$rate at party, doesn't that imply the same amount of variance.

With a 50% $$$ rate, doesn't that mean I'll have the same number of consecutive busts and the same number of consecutive $$$ finishes, on average, at either site?

What I'm really getting at is this - Solid players seem to be posting the same kinds of results at either site. There may be slightly better results at stars because of only 9 players/table, but this should be offset by the slightly smaller prizes.

By this, I am not trying to argue that party's structure is just as good. I know it isn't. The weak players there are what make for comparable results. What i am suggesting though, is that party is easily as profitable, if not far more so due to smaller times/tourney.

Note: I am really only talking about $10+1 -> $30+3 NLHE here. This may apply elsewhere as well, but I don't have too much experience with the higher sngs

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Brad S

...On second thought, I think you good players are right. Stay at Stars. I don't need you migrating over here [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]