Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 05:58 PM

Default You mean I\'m playing poker with a bunch of liers?!

J.A.Sucker and I are hanging out in Vegas this weekend. We're ostensibly holding a bachelor party for a friend.

Thursday night, we're both fried, with about 50 hours no sleep between us. We decide to go whoop it up in the Mirage 10-20 to avoid bankroll suicide in our impaired state.

The game is super good. I'm assuming it's March madness or something. Most hands are multiway at the river (!!), lots of chips flying around. I am being a total Jackass, including talking about poker continuously at the table, nicknaming locals things like "Uncle Leon", and then combining these evil activites, e.g. "Uncle Leon pops it on the turn and you call 2 cold? Tsk, tsk.". I am clearly quite popular with the table, judging from the glowering. I drop a lot of hints about the internet and so forth to try to find out if any 2+2 luminaries are in the game, but either they aren't, or they want to kill me.

My excuse is that I haven't sat at the table with my boy JA in years, and it's a lot of fun. Anyway, a rare heads-up pot occurs between me and him, which leads to the title of this post.

I am to his right, as it should be [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Everyone folds to me in the cutoff + 1, or the cutoff (it's a haze). I raise with AKo, Sucker 3 bets, all fold. I have already explained that I have very tight raising standards now (he hasn't played with me in a while, remember?) and that he should fold pretty much everything if I raise. (This is a crucial part of sitting on his right).

I make it 4 bets and he calls.

Flop is AQx, I bet, he calls. Turn and river are random rags. Same action. He announces that I win. I agree and show. He mucks and claims he had KK.

What are the chances that this is a lie? Do you think that my friend would lie to me [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Re: You mean I\'m playing poker with a bunch of liers?!

Sounds like K-K to me.

Friends don't let other friends play drunk. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds like a good time was had by all which is, after all, the whole purpose of poker.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Default it was either KK, or he was really drunk

If he is a strong player, then he had kK. A good player cant have 99 1010 JJ here, because their hand would be in the muck on the flop or turn. I cant beleive he would 3 bet you with AJ, and it obviously wasnt AQ. Either he had KK, or he was really very drunk.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:40 AM

Default Re: it was either KK, or he was really drunk

'I cant beleive he would 3 bet you with AJ,'

cutoff openraised and u dont 3bet from button with AJ its a mistake unless u fold based on player.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:36 AM

Default Quote of the Week.

"Friends don't let other friends play drunk." Good one, Andy.

Old 03-21-2003, 11:02 PM

Frankly, all I know is that I might have had KK, but I KNOW that I had a lot to drink [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Ni han, Ni han. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW: The word is spelled "liar" [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2003, 09:37 PM

BTW: The word is spelled "liar"

oh cmon! Isn't lier right next to "alot" in the dictionary?!

-Scott