Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 06:09 PM

Default Re: JJ on a Q high flop

The problem I have with this is when you get called on the flop I think you are behind almost everytime. What can he call with preflop and call a pot sized bet on that flop from a preflop raiser with that doesnt beat JJ? AK if he isnt real good maybe.

So I think once the flop bet doesn't make him go away you need to shut it down. That is why I like the slight underbet, I think any hand that folds for T1100 is going to fold for T700 and the chips you save are important to your stack if you have to fold.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am still not sure I agree that checking is no good. You are looking at a host of options, none of which are ideal. If he has a Q you are screwed. But, he may also have a pocket pair lower than JJ, and may have hands as varied as AJ, KJ or lots of other hands since you describe him as a loose player.

The problem is, if you bet the pot and he has a Q, you have a big problem and just lost a ton of chips. Betting less than the pot is another possibility, but, frankly, I think this communicates almost as much weakness as checking because now he knows that not only do you probably not have a Queen, but that you are AFRAID of him. Checking, to me, at least puts the possibility of a check-raise in his mind. You may, after all, have KK or AA. It is also a big pot, so even though he may be tempted to bluff you with AK, AJ, Ax, etc., he has to risk a lot of chips to do that (though admittedly only 1/4 his stack). In my (limited) experience, a lot of people in his situation (assuming he doesn't have a Queen) won't put down 1K chips on a bluff. You can bet he's trying to steal the pot if he bets, say 1/2 the pot or less.

On the other hand, he's a loose player and may be just the type to bet the pot without a Queen. But . . . unless you want to risk a lot of money, I am just suggesting that a check is not any worse of an option than the others

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have some good points here, especially regarding the fact that a smaller-than-pot bet will also represent weakness, in a similar way to a check, and that could also induce a re-raise bluff. However, checking will NEVER win the pot right there, and that's a thing that can often happen if you bet no matter how much, even if only 2/3 the pot, sometimes (against very weak opponents) much less. You must not pass the option to win this pot right there, that's why betting here is very necessary. Of course you're in problem if reraised or get called, but it's probably worth it.

PrayingMantis
Old 03-16-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies, you made some good points I think.

I bet 600. Problem was he called, and then I felt maybe it was a little too small, and I wasn't sure where I'm standing. He could've called it with a straight draw, weak Q, a T (maybe AT, KT), or he could be slowplaying a set or QT.

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checked, he checked. If he had J9 he hit his straight. That's all I could figured.

Flop: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I didn't think there's enough chance for a 2 in his hand, and I tended to think he would have re-raised me on the flop with a Q. And on this point I thought he could call another smallish bet with a pocket-pair or Tx, like he did, maybe, on the flop.

So I decided to go for a value bet of 600, and immidiately regreted it when he re-raised me all-in.

I folded, and he showed KK. Yes, a little strange. Tricky...

I think checking the river was much better than betting, especially with my small stack. Although I'm quite sure he was enough of a loose-caller to call my bet there with hands I beat, IMO. Not here, anyway...

Any more thoughts?

PrayingMantis
Old 03-16-2004, 06:53 PM

NotMitch, let me first start of by saying you have good points and the style of play you are illustrating works fine as well, I am not criticizing your advice.

Lets first start by thinking what hands his opponent will simply just call the preflop raise( unless this player likes to slowplay ). So he is likely to call a 3xBB raise with I am going to say any pocket pair 22-JJ, JT, KQ, AQ, AJ, ATs, and maybe Axs.

Now he is most likely to raise with AA, KK, QQ, AK, and maybe even JJ or TT. Since he didn't raise I wouldn't put him on these hands( unless he likes to slowplay ), so they only hands I think he needs to worry about are KQ and AQ.

Now if I was PM, I would be trying to get his opponent to fold his Q if he has one. I think the pot sized bet represents a over pair, but then again, most of us on here know what we are doing so we would probably think the same thing, however who knows with some people online.

For me this is a hand and a pot he can't give away. I would be trying to make his opponent fold the better hand here, but thats just me.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Results

I think your opponent played like an idiot
Old 03-16-2004, 06:59 PM

Cracka,

I understand the logic in your reasoning, however...

[ QUOTE ]
Now if I was PM, I would be trying to get his opponent to fold his Q if he has one. I think the pot sized bet represents a over pair, but then again, most of us on here know what we are doing so we would probably think the same thing, however who knows with some people online.

For me this is a hand and a pot he can't give away. I would be trying to make his opponent fold the better hand here, but thats just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am positively sure he *won't* fold a Q here, no matter what, and that's why I think betting the pot (which is 50% my stack) does not worth it.

The problem was he didn't reraise me PF or on the flop with his KK... and I was mistaken to try and "value bet" on the river, and that made me lose 600 more... Not a good move, as I stated.

PrayingMantis
Old 03-16-2004, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your opponent played like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I was lucky enough, though, that the flop wasn't some rags: if it was, I would have played this hand much more aggressively, and would have probably busted...
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am positively sure he *won't* fold a Q here, no matter what

[/ QUOTE ]
aha, if you had said this at the start I would have said check fold the entire way.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:20 PM

your opponent probably would have cried the entire time to if you had flopped a set and his Kings lost, saying " I hate KK(or AA), cuz they always get sucked out."
Old 03-16-2004, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
aha, if you had said this at the start I would have said check fold the entire way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the right move, even if he won't fold a Q. I'm betting the flop to (try and) make him fold many hands that are behind me *now* but can easily improve to be the best later, like straight draws, lower pocket pair, or Tx (or to make him do the mistake of calling with them). Checking will not do that. A reasonable player will re-raise me on the flop with Qx (certainly with AQ, KQ) so I will be able, knowing pretty good I'm behind, to lay my JJ down.

That's at least how I see it.

PrayingMantis