Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Default new house: wiring

I will be moving soon into a new house that is just framed currently. It is for the most part pimped out with stereo and internet wiring but I want to make sure it is optimized for the fastest/best internet possible. It has that cat5 wiring or whatever in addition to cable. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: new house: wiring

Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the difference. Is this for DSL type of connection and is that better than cable which I currently use?
Old 10-15-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cat6e instead of Cat5.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain the difference. Is this for DSL type of connection and is that better than cable which I currently use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cat5 is going to fit your needs. You don't really need gigabit. Cat5 supports up to 100M which most likely is all your network cards support anyway. Cat5 is not the latest and greatest but will definitely suit any home users needs.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:09 PM

As the other poster mentioned. Anything faster then Cat 5 isn't going to be necessary. Your high speed internet (DSL, Cable, etc) won't even get close to maxing out Cat 5.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will be moving soon into a new house that is just framed currently. It is for the most part pimped out with stereo and internet wiring but I want to make sure it is optimized for the fastest/best internet possible. It has that cat5 wiring or whatever in addition to cable. Is there anything else I need?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason I threw in Cat6e, is because this is afterall a house. And therefore could be there for 30+ years. Who knows what will change, but having something that allows for higher capacity isn't all bad. =)

That said, they have finalized the technology to run gigabit internet connectivity over power lines, so meh.

Nick
Old 10-15-2005, 06:03 PM

In 20 years + I'll be damn if cat6e isn't a things of the pass and if we still use cables for Internet in our houses. But yeah I definitly would invest in cat6e instead of cat5 just for the increased bandwidth for a LAN.

If you don't have/need/use a LAN well yeah as others said Cat5 will be fine, but it's almost the same price anyway.

Why not SM optic cables now [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 06:57 PM

Sorry for th super noobie questions but if the house is wired in cat5 (and my current house is not) will that mean better performance with the cable TV and internet or just the phone, etc? In other words will i have to switch to dsl or can I still use my cable modem?
Old 10-16-2005, 04:42 PM

i helped put an addition on a house 2 yrs ago, when it was still being framed, they put in these cheap plastic tubes that would make future wiring much easier and didn't make the owners guess where technology would be going in the future.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for th super noobie questions but if the house is wired in cat5 (and my current house is not) will that mean better performance with the cable TV and internet or just the phone, etc? In other words will i have to switch to dsl or can I still use my cable modem?

[/ QUOTE ]

The cat5 only comes into play after the modem, so it will make no difference to the phone, tv, etc. Just internet stuff. Cat5 is the stuff that a normal ethernet cable is typically made of.