Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2005, 12:53 AM

Default Poker pulse, investing,and the recent DECLINE in online poker activity

Poker Pulse tracks the recent activity on the different poker sites, and is trying to establish themselves as a leading consultant for investors in this area. They were quoted in the oft-mentioned and influential Barron's article recently.

Check out their site if you haven't already.

Here's why I mention this. I recently bought some Sportingbet stock and have noticed the Poker Pulse numbers show about a 5-10% decline from 3 weeks ago for not only Paradise ( owned by Spoting bet) but also for Poker Stars & Party.

For instance, Party was averaging 40-44,000 ring and tourney players at peak periods two weeks ago; This week and last they are running 38-42K or so for comparable days.
Paradise & Stars show a similar pattern.

Obviously this is something I'm watching closely.

Through February, PokerPulse was showing 5% monthly growth
(down from 10% a few months ago). Now I see these March numbers, and start to harbor dark thoughts.

What do you think? In the steep climb up to this point, have there been minor blips like this along the way? or is the bubble bursting? Possibly there are seasonal aspects to this? ( It's warming up and people are inside less? I sort of doubt this.)

Interested in others' opinions on this recent trend, and whether it is meaningful.