Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Send your loved ones to war?

Parents don't, but decision-makers/commanders-in-chief send children to war.

Is it fair to ask a decision-maker if you are willing to send other's kids, are you willing to send your own?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:19 PM

Sure you can ask them, but I dont see the point. Its just cheap shot predicated on playing on peoples emotions when it comes to children. I would think that any decision maker would answer yes if he was willing to send the armed forces to war then obviously if his child was in the military than he would be going.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, just because people voluntarily join the army means you can send them whereever the hell they want for any reason?????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah. Its part of the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, its ok to start any war cause we have a volunteer army?

OK, I'll go start a fire in an abandoned building since we have a volunteer fire department.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM

I agree with the Vulture. Parents do not send their children to war. All military service is voluntary in the US and age requirements have to be met (at least 18 right?). So kids make the determination themselves. Influenced perhaps by a number of competing factors (that may include their parents) but in general they are adults and make up their own determinations in this issue.

-Zeno
Old 08-30-2004, 12:25 PM

You guys are getting around technicalities of the question.. If you or someone you know are of age to go and fight, and support the war, is it fair to ask you to go? Let's talk about the spirit of the question.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:25 PM

No its not ok to start any war. But once the decision makers decide that military force needs to be applied, thats it. They can send the troops where ever they want. I really doubt the guiding motivation behind the Iraq war was "Gee we have a military, lets go use it". I know there are people here that will of course argue that is in fact the truth.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:26 PM

That seems like an obvious yes to me. Maybe I just dont get the spirit of the question.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:27 PM

Look at it this way, if we were being invaded, would you send yourself and ask others to fight with you? If the answer is yes, then your answer to the question should be "Yes, everyone who supports the war should be willing to fight in it." Because, our cause should be as obvious and just as if our own country was being invaded. You don't think people were coming up with these same type of questions during world war II, do ya?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:39 PM

That is probably a valid question to ask of individuals. If the US were invaded or threaten then I would volunteer to fight and urge others to do so, including my childern. I think that answers the question as posed.

-Zeno
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is probably a valid question to ask of individuals. If the US were invaded or threaten then I would volunteer to fight and urge others to do so, including my childern. I think that answers the question as posed.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer reveals your feelings on the war, and most peoples I would assume "if the us were invaded or threatened"........ In other words you don't really feel threatened by Iraq!! (I'm not sure of your stance on the war Zeno.)