Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2001, 03:40 AM

Default Re: One Thing About Cockpit Access

Andy,

Did you check out 60 minutes last night? The segment on airport security was appalling.

Regards,

Rick
Old 09-18-2001, 07:10 AM

Default Re: One Thing About Cockpit Access

>>Just read through the suggestions from the link, and one would hope many of them will be considered by the FAA and other appropriate government agencies.<<

You've hit on one of the major problems,

FAA = Analysis Paralysis.

I'm fairly certain that many of these suggestions have been proposed before. In fairness though something like the SAFE mode being described would take years to implement even without analyzing the change and it's effectiveness. Not saying it isn't a good idea though because it is technologically feasible.

Old 09-18-2001, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Interesting

I would think that pilots would be reluctant to give up the capability to override the computers in SAFE mode. Could be wrong though as it will be interesting to read what you report back. SAFE mode is feasible technologically IMO.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Security is going overboard

Regrettably I have to agree with much of what you write. It seems to be a bit of a dog and pony show. Why regrettably? Not because I wanted to disagree with you but I was hoping that something more substantive would take place. I think in time there will be substantive changes that are effective. Hopefully that time span isn't too long.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:12 AM

Default Security Revelation!!

Natedogg, where have you been? I'm going to nominate you for a sub-Cabinet post inflicting, err, initiating new measures for the traveling public.

"What about a really big man? Are we going to prevent big men from flying? All it takes is seven or eight very large muscled 250 pounders with the will to do so and the plane is theirs, with or without weapons."

Starting tomorrow, there will no longer be a check in for our flights; there will be a weigh in. Flights will be organized according the classes recognized by the staff of _Ring_ magazine. At the very top, above Heavyweight, we shall add a new super category called Suma Class, to hold Samoans and those NFL linemen who pose such an unnatural threat!

In the meantime, don't order fried liver in the concourse eatery: you'll never get through it with plastic cutlery.

Old 09-18-2001, 09:24 AM

Default Proper use of the club...

...could be part of the instructions we now get for the oxygen mask, emergency exits and flotation devices. I'm almost not being facetious. Democratic self-defense could have made a 6,000 life difference.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:33 AM

Default Politeness

Twenty years ago when I lived in Arizona, it was accepted as a statistical reality that one in four motor vehicles contained a firearm. I do believe that motor traffic was more civil. The only truly rude drivers, the ones who'd make that deliberately (the term "road rage" hadn't yet been coined) threatening lane change followed by a gesture were tourists who didn't appreciate the frontier environment.
Old 09-18-2001, 09:43 AM

Default You Got SERVICE in Sun Valley? N/T *NM*