Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 11:05 PM

Default raw fish

What are your sushi favorites when ordering a la carte? I love sushi, but I typically don't go beyond my standards: tuna, salmon, salmon skin, bbq eel, and mackeral. Oh, and I love the round pieces with the little red eggs on top...those are yummy. But what else is really good that I should be ordering?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: raw fish

whitefish, yellowtail, fatty tuna, fatty salmon, sea urchin, sea eel, etc.

When done right, my favorite is yellowtail. Very firm consistency for fish, and lots of flavor.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:27 PM

<ul type="square"> [*]albacore (it'll be lightly seared. One of my favorites.)[*]toro (fatty tuna. You'll like it)[*]ama-ebi or "sweet shrimp". (The shrimp comes as nigiri sushi, then they deep-fry the head and bring it to you on the side. Don't eat the shell that's left on the tail, but you can eat the whole head.)[*]uni w/quail egg (People tend either to love or hate it. It's worth trying, you may want to try w/o the quail egg as well.)[*]yellowtail's good[*]The "little red eggs" you mention are probably masago (smelt eggs). You might try ikura (salmon eggs) - they're larger and generally saltier, but good. Both work well with quail egg.[*]oysters. And for that matter...[*]oyster shooters (w/ponzu, sake, smelt eggs, quail egg, hot sauce etc)[/list]
Old 03-02-2005, 11:27 PM

Unagi! freshwater eel is probably the most buttery, flavorful meat i've ever had. (i beleive it's usually served cooked, however)

and inari, fried tofu pouch filled with vinegar-cooled rice, and if the place is really good, little bits of carott and cucumber.

remember: Unagi, Inari.

good stuff.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:40 PM

EEL is good but normally a fair bit more expensive (or you get less of it) so probably not worth it. I normally get salmon.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unagi! freshwater eel is probably the most buttery, flavorful meat i've ever had. (i beleive it's usually served cooked, however)

and inari, fried tofu pouch filled with vinegar-cooled rice, and if the place is really good, little bits of carott and cucumber.

remember: Unagi, Inari.

good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, unagi is one of my favorites (what I called bbq eel). Great stuff.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 PM

I agree, toro is amazing. But it's too damn expensive to order on a regular basis. The sushi place down the street has it at $17/piece right now... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, toro is amazing. But it's too damn expensive to order on a regular basis. The sushi place down the street has it at $17/piece right now... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous. It's usually $7-9 near me, which is a lot more feasible. If toro's that expensive, the sweet shrimp may be as well.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:06 AM

I've always been partial to Red Snapper with ponzu. Giant Clam and Squid are very flavorful.

Unagi: Candy Sushi.

Russ
Old 03-03-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've always been partial to Red Snapper with ponzu. Giant Clam and Squid are very flavorful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second all of these, although the texture of the latter two may take some getting used to.