Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Dropping 30 buy-ins at the Party 5+1?

you are way too tight, looks like your only waiting for AA-QQ. I think you shoul call from sb with connecting/suited cards, especially at low levels. Also, in late position you have a big advantage, especially since you are so tight, so be more aggressive on the end with connectors and suited connectors. Also, you have to win a lot more at $5 table to be profitable b/c off 20% rake...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or because no one is stupid enogh to play the 5s when the 10s have the same rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play the $5+.50 at UB or some other site.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:01 PM

Hey,
read the first one. two things i didnt like:

1) the Q9 bet after you hit a Q on the turn (you completed from the SB). w all those overs, someone else prob has a better hand, and the table so far wasn't really folding to bets, i check here.

2) the call w 66. either you are 20% to win or 50%, not good odds considering you are not using your chips to muscle.

Work on the bubble play, read this forum. good luck.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:27 PM

so basically push alot more. I think was doing that fine at first, then hit a little rough patch and got scared and started to tighten up close to the money.

Going to start a few more tables with my remaing money and see if I can get something going.

Thanks for all your help.

-starvs
Old 05-20-2005, 10:06 PM

First Game:

With 66:
I probably would have folded here. Never call, you're either way behind or a coinflip and you have no fold equity at all calling.

Second Game:

With JJ:
You should either be all in, or limp + hope for a nice flop. Raise fold is just throwing away chips.

With 53:
Don't let the BB steal your money by making you play rubbish you would normally fold.
People usually aren't bluffing often enought to make it worth your while, and pocket 4's still have you beat.

If you're going to get knocked out of a game do it by pushing and being called, not by calling someone elses push.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 PM

starvs,

Looking at your hand history, you remind of how I used to play after going on a losing streak. I played scared. I didn't play hands that could get me in any trouble. I didn't bluff and I overbet my good hands to avoid getting drawn out on. Some notable points:

A) You raised to 100 chips with AA from UTG. From UTG, I would raise less or slowplay aces.

B) With 58o and only 15 chips to see a flop, you fold and miss trips on the flop. I'd almost always call here.

C) You fold JJ to an all-in?? You are playing way too scared!

Some tips:

A) Try raising on the button (if no raise already) no matter what cards you have. Particularly with 3 or fewer limpers. You can often pick up the pot on the flop with a small bet.

B) Bluff a lot more, particularly when your opponents show weakness.

C) Build up pots before you steal them. I.E... try to build up a big pot that still has fold equity and then go all-in to get your opponents fold.

Paperboy
Old 05-21-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
starvs,

Looking at your hand history, you remind of how I used to play after going on a losing streak. I played scared. I didn't play hands that could get me in any trouble. I didn't bluff and I overbet my good hands to avoid getting drawn out on. Some notable points:

A) You raised to 100 chips with AA from UTG. From UTG, I would raise less or slowplay aces.

B) With 58o and only 15 chips to see a flop, you fold and miss trips on the flop. I'd almost always call here.

C) You fold JJ to an all-in?? You are playing way too scared!

Some tips:

A) Try raising on the button (if no raise already) no matter what cards you have. Particularly with 3 or fewer limpers. You can often pick up the pot on the flop with a small bet.

C) Build up pots before you steal them. I.E... try to build up a big pot that still has fold equity and then go all-in to get your opponents fold.

Paperboy

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, I'm am/was playing to scared. Once I started losing I just starting getting more tighter and more passive trying to somehow stop losing, which in turn just caused me to lose more. Folding that JJ was pretty much as bad as it got.

Thanks for all the help
-starvs
Old 05-21-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
>You have options at Table 12175 Table!.
>You have options at Table 14233 Table!.
>You have options at Table 12254 Table!.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps you should not quad table the 5+1 and two table the 10+1s instead. less rake, more focus, and i'll wager better results. .

. . . good luck.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:14 AM

Good catch.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Some tips:

[/ QUOTE ]

Do the exact opposite of this advice and you should be fine.

Have you ever played a 5+1 Paperboy? These guys don't have a fold button.