Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2004, 12:16 PM

Default Bill Cosby speaks the truth

You tell 'em Bill

Imagine the outcry if Rush had said the exact same thing...
Old 05-21-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Bill Cosby speaks the truth

[ QUOTE ]
"They're standing on the corner and they can't speak English," he said. "I can't even talk the way these people talk: 'Why you ain't.' 'Where you is.' ... And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk. And then I heard the father talk. ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. ... You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth!"

When Cosby finally concluded, Howard University President H. Patrick Swygert, NAACP President Kweisi Mfume and NAACP legal defense fund head Theodore Shaw came to the podium looking stone-faced. Shaw told the crowd that most people on welfare are not African-American, and many of the problems his organization has addressed in the black community were not self-inflicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cosby spoke the simple truth: One is hard-pressed to get ahead in this country if one cannot speak English effectively. The message is clear, maybe the delivery harsh.

The stuffed shirts that came after did not even address the issue, and ignored this simple truth: Yes, it is clear the black community has suffered and been put to a disadvantage, but this does not give an excuse to not learn to speak well. Wearing dope kicks or learning to spell - Cosby points out the former is often the choice which is adding to the problem.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:33 PM

My favorite part is when Bill talked about how if the cops kill someone stealing "a piece of poundcake" we shouldn't ask why the police over-reacted, but rather "What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Maybe Bill, just maybe, we should ask both questions.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite part is when Bill talked about how if the cops kill someone stealing "a piece of poundcake" we shouldn't ask why the police over-reacted, but rather "What the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Maybe Bill, just maybe, we should ask both questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't see that. I must agree with you Elwood: that particular statement was ignorant.

"Hey you sleaze! My Bed!"
Old 05-24-2004, 12:53 PM

"Didn't see that. I must agree with you Elwood: that particular statement was ignorant."

It was; but the rest was right on the money.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:12 PM

At least someone has the balls. Clarence Thomas is not too well liked in the black community because he is a Republican. He was once quoted as saying, "Its OK if all black people don't think the same, in fact we shouldn't."
Old 05-24-2004, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was scratching my head on this one.

Is there a major pound cake-stealing ring of thugs in some part of this country? Haven't they heard about carbs?!!

Atkins aside, why the hell would we use pound cake as an example? It must have been sort of like when Jan Brady was trying to remember her imaginary boyfriend's name, and saw a glass on the table, and named him "George...George, uh, Glass."

So, then, was there a piece of pound cake in the room with the Cos?
Old 05-24-2004, 02:38 PM

Default The reason Rush can\'t say it

Bill Cosby was commenting on his own people and his own race, so I don't see a problem.

Now, if Rush wanted to rant on horse's asses that dodge the draft, cheerlead the war, and have spent several years drugged out of their mind while critiquing others ...

I'm all ears.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:48 PM

Default Re: The reason Rush can\'t say it

There should not be any perceived problem if anyone accurately critiques the problems of any group, their own or otherwise. Legitimate criticism is, well, legitimate.

Such criticism also helps destroy the pernicious mantle of political correctness that has pervaded our institutions and way of life. What's true is true and what's false is false, regardless of political correctness.

Blind adherence to politically correct presumptions tends to prevent important issues from being properly addressed and remedied.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Re: The reason Rush can\'t say it

[ QUOTE ]
There should not be any perceived problem if anyone accurately critiques the problems of any group, their own or otherwise. Legitimate criticism is, well, legitimate.

Such criticism also helps destroy the pernicious mantle of political correctness that has pervaded our institutions and way of life. What's true is true and what's false is false, regardless of political correctness.

Blind adherence to politically correct presumptions tends to prevent important issues from being properly addressed and remedied.

[/ QUOTE ]

NICE!!