Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 AM

Default rules question

I was playing O/8 at a local B&M last night and something came up about a rule I am not sure about. Normal hand the river put the 3rd card to a wheel up. Someone still in the hand said out loud that he had a wheel and bet. This statement caused someone with a low hand to fold. When the cards were turned over the guy did not have the wheel. Needless to say the person that folded based on the players statement was not happy. My understand is declaring a hands true value and not having cards is not the same as saying things like “ I might have the winner”, “that card makes my hand” etc. Floor person was called and sided with the person that made the mis-declaired hand. I am almost sure that I read someplace that making statements as to the true value of a hand and not having the goods would foul the hand. Anyone have a correct answer for this one?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Re: rules question

You can say whatever you want and it doesn't matter.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:26 PM

It is all house rules unless it is a tournament playing by TDA rules.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:07 PM

There is a name for people who say they have a hand that they don't have: bluffers.

There is also a name for people who believe bluffers: fish.

[ QUOTE ]
My understand is declaring a hands true value and not having cards is not the same as saying things like “ I might have the winner”, “that card makes my hand” etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything you do at the table is designed to say "I have the winner" (unless you are slow playing, which is also "lying" about your hand).

It is against standard tournament rules to actually say what you have in discussing a live hand. If the person had said he had a wheel and actually had one, that would be a violation in a tournament. So lying is okay, but telling the truth is against the rules.

If he had laid his hand down at the showdown and tried to pass it off as a wheel, that would be at lest unethical, and possibly cheating. Other than that, you believe a poker player at your own risk. In a recent game on TV, Doyle Brunson "lied" to his own son about his cards. All's fair.