Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: ISP Address with wireless

[ QUOTE ]
Is the AP assigning the laptop an IP address now, whereas it wasn't before?

Start->Run->type: cmd->type: ipconfig /all|find "IP A"

Does that show a 192.168.0.x IP address?

[/ QUOTE ]
i did this on the laptop and it gave me "autoconfiguration IP address...169.254.216.xxx"
i x'ed out the numbers, i dont know why [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 PM

AP = Access Point (wireless router)

Make a | by holding shift and looking for it on your keyboard, or copy paste it from this thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (mine is beside my backspace key)

Run that on the laptop. I want to see if the Access Point is giving you an IP address at this point or not. It doesn't sound like it, but maybe it is.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:42 PM

169.254.x.x is what Windows automatically assigns when it can't get an IP address any other way. Try to reassociate with the AP (reboot the laptop if necessary, or just reinsert the wireless NIC if it's external). Only thing I would do from here is look around the web interface on the AP, specifically the DHCP settings. Wish I knew what exactly to tell you to do/look for, but hopefully there will be a clue in there somewhere.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
169.254.x.x is what Windows automatically assigns when it can't get an IP address any other way. Try to reassociate with the AP (reboot the laptop if necessary, or just reinsert the wireless NIC if it's external). Only thing I would do from here is look around the web interface on the AP, specifically the DHCP settings. Wish I knew what exactly to tell you to do/look for, but hopefully there will be a clue in there somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
how is the deskptop accessing through the router but the laptop cant?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
anywho,
does this appear to be a laptop problem, a desktop problem, or a linksys problem?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:22 PM

Most importantly if you're getting an 192.168.x.x address from the router to your Wireless card, when you do an ipconfig as the previous poster stated do you get a default gateway? The gateway is used to access the External beautiful sunny Internet.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 PM

Bad cat5 between the AP and the cable modem perhaps?

+ [desktop] -> usb -> [cable modem] -> Internet

- [laptop] -> cat5 ->[AP] -> cat5 -> [cable modem] -> Internet

+ [desktop] -> cat5 -> [AP]

desktop: 192.168.1.x
laptop: 169.254.x.x

If the AP isn't giving your laptop a 192.168.1.x IP address, it could be a number of things. Start with the networking equipment (network cable etc), then look at the settings via the web interface on the AP. That's the best I got.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:57 AM

If you're using a wireless card, try reinstalling the drivers.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're using a wireless card, try reinstalling the drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no reason to believe that this is the problem.

It seems like this is a configuration problem, either with the router or with the card itself. FIrstly, what are you using to connect to the wireless interface? If so, when you open it up, does it say "Connected"?

Is the wireless even turned on on the router, often times this isn't on by default, only the wired side is.

I don't think anything is wrong with anything, except, sometimes it's a little difficult for a novice to set this up, and it's often times hard to give advice over the internet on something as broad as this.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:51 AM

oh! Didn't notice that the AP was giving him an autoconfig IP. Forget about my previous post about gateway then as your problem is before that.

On my linksys router, you can select how many DHCP addresses are given, so I would check that. It took me a while I had selected a maximum of 2 when I added my 3rd PC to the network and it wouldn't get an IP :P

As an alternative you can specify the IP yourself (in the card properties under TCP/IP and see if you can ping 192.168.0.1 after giving yourself an IP of say 192.168.0.100