Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Re: How cynical do you need to be to feel good in the morning?

"Out of place responses."

Son, think of what you say before you say it. My responses are far more relevant and constructive to any post, whether directly relevant or not, than sarcastic remarks aimed at proving how "witty" you are. If your intentions in posting are to gain respect from the other posters on this site through your sarcastic responses, from which you feel better about yourself, than that is your agenda and your right.

Clearly though, your age and immaturity are more apparent with every additional post you write. So, if you don't want to reply to my posts... don't. And if you are angered by my posts, reply with a collection of your finest, and most witty, sarcastic remarks.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:28 PM

Counter productive?

This is a forum... and a forum entitled "News, Views, Gossip".

Forum Coach. No. Just posting my thoughts and opinions the same way you, and everybody else does.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:13 PM

Well, I have been goaded into a response.

[ QUOTE ]
the rapier-like wit of some on these boards

Please tell me you're kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, I was kidding? I was being sarcastic about how lame it was that you were jealous of a bunch of people who weren't that funny.

Having said that, there are some pretty funny responses in this thread and some really very witty posters on these boards.

Few kids like to admit how obnoxious they are, and few adults like hanging around kids.

Few adults like to admit how obnoxious they are either. I'm pretty sure if I told you that you are being exceedingly arrogant, you'd brush it off as a remark from a dumb kid who doesn't understand life at all. That's ok though, you're infinitely wiser than I am, who am I to judge?

This board has a wide reputation as having quite a share of jerks.

I can't absolutely say that this isn't true but I really doubt the twoplustwo forums have a reputation which most people would refer to as "widespread". Where, specifically, are you talking about? I'm really not a jerk, if you ever read the limit hold'em strategy forums then you will see this.

But I could be wrong on this one.

Is someone being sarcastic? Now that is just childish.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:23 PM

If your intentions in posting are to gain respect from the other posters on this site through your sarcastic responses, from which you feel better about yourself, than that is your agenda and your right.

Yes, I have 1700 posts and I thought I'd say something sarcastic to gain respect, because no one who notices these things is going to have any idea who I am.

I reply to your posts because I detest the smug tone in them, as if you are an infinitely wise old man who is gently admonishing younger posters for their behaviour, when actually your replies are more about making yourself feel better than mine are.

There are posters who can come across as gentlemen who are genuinely concerned and kind, Andy Fox is a good example. In fact, if I knew that Andy Fox was reading this, even though he doesn't know me, I would cringe because I am being rude in places where I don't need to be.

But knowing that you, digdeep, are reading this does not make me feel bad at all because you are patronising, self-indulgent and didactic where your posts denote that you should take your own advice about being "dramatically destructive" before preaching to others.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:47 PM

ZING!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jealous of a bunch of people who weren't that funny

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you even believed that one yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
there are some pretty funny responses in this thread and some really very witty posters on these boards

[/ QUOTE ]

Matter of opinion I guess. There's some occasional wit on these forums, but I wouldn't look for any in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
Where, specifically, are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to engender enmity from one board to another, but if for some reason it's important to you, or you are really shocked that the sarcasm here is both noted and often not particularly admired by a lot of people, you can PM me and I'll tell you.

[ QUOTE ]
who am I to judge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly who you need to be, if you do it fairly. Your remarks in that paragraph make that doubtful, but you'll judge anyway. That's just human; no sense pretending different.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really not a jerk

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said you were. You seem to have taken some things wrongly. There's a difference between being stupid, doing stupid things, and endorsing the stupid things done by others. I'd don't find any reason to say you're a jerk so far and haven't said it. However, I do think being sarcastic almost never contributes anything to a discussion; it usually just replaces useful discussion with something worthless. I think your endorsing jerky things is foolish, but there are worse crimes in life, and that doesn't make you a jerk. Still, the sarcasm here contributes little and sometimes detracts a lot, and it's perfectly fair to say so. I hope you can separate criticism of that behavior and of that mindset out from some personal attack on you, which it really isn't.

[ QUOTE ]
But I could be wrong on this one.

Is someone being sarcastic? Now that is just childish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is. That's exactly why I wrote it in the first place. And at least I'll admit it.

Key thing though - it wasn't hostile. More like silly. Hostility is over-rated. By my reckoning, that's the whole point digdeep and I were trying to make in the first place.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is absolutely amazing how rude and disrespectful many of you can be? What purpose does that serve? The kid clearly states that he is not even 18...what else do you want? He is a bit naive, and even a little arrogant. Many of you were the same way when you started playing; because if you weren't, you wouldn't still be playing.

Furthermore, what does it accomplish to tell someone to "kill yourself"? How does that even cross your mind? Is that something you think about on a daily basis? Have you ever really struggled in life, and learned how lucky you are to be alive? I could easily try to psycho-analyze you and the others that find it rewarding or even humerous to respond with insults and degradation, but you need to do that for yourselves. Life is too short to be an a$$hole, if you don't have anything better to do than spew out negative malicious rhetoric, than go see a psycho-therapist.

The only reason I post this, is because many of you lack compassion. If you are joking with another poster with whom you have established a repore, than fine. This was the kid's first post, and you people want to respond like this. He was asking for advice, not providing a means by which many of you can release your frustrations and insecurites, in an attempt to fell better about yourselves.

And it is interesting how group think works. You have a couple of posters create this negative tone on a board, and everyone else feeds into that same line of thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]

when you make a response like this, make certain it is directed to the intended party. i never berated or criticized this poster.

cheers!
Old 10-29-2004, 12:54 AM

Sorry if it seemed that way. My response to your post was in support of your assertion that the rude replies were unncessary and destructive. If I either misinterpreted your post, or ignorantly replied to the wrong post - I surely apologize.

I was just trying to elaborate on your point, which I agreed with completely.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Play in True Poker's Noobie s&gs. Place in one of those and take the real money you have won and bring it to the very soft nl 50 tables. I won about $500 there and deposited nothing.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:31 AM

Ogre you suck too! Why dont you take your 500 bucks and go play in the WSOP! Oh wait... I forgot you are only 15!

PS-Before you all freak out on me for ripping on young ogre, note that he is my little brother and therefore its my responsibilty to do so[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, will you guys help me convince him that he needs to stop being such a sally and move up to 30+3 SNGs...