Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Five Thousand Jews And 9/11

[ QUOTE ]
It is a sad truth, there are racist Jews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there are, just the same way as there are...

[ QUOTE ]
racist Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Japanese, Chinese, and Canadians.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you already made my point.

Of course within any group, there will be some who are racist. There's no denying that. However, to call an entire group racist because they believe their way to be the right way (as any group should) is ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:18 AM

I never called any of your posts abusive. Perhaps you should learn to differentiate between all of the different people who refute what you have to say.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that means that in the circles you move in calling some one "a retard" is a sign of affection or love even.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it means that you are an individual of sub-par intelligence, as I think has been demonstrated through all of your previous posts.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:31 AM

Religion is simply an ealry form of philosophy. It's intention is to answer basic questions such as "what does it mean to be good?" "what kind of behaviour is bad?" "is killing and stealing wrong? If so, why?"

If you take a look at the origin of law you will likely wind up with the ten commandments. These are divided into 2 columns -

1. Rules between man and god
2. Rules between man and other men

In the first column there are rules that govern ones relationship with god and are listed first so as to denote their relative importance. The second column relates to rules of behaviour in society. They explain how one is to live in a society where a certain code of conduct (philosophy) prevails.

The problem is that these codes of conduct aren't based on rational criteria - but rather only the not-to-be-questioned decree of a supernatural Punisher makes acts like theft and murder wrong.
This is obviously incompatible with freedom loving people. The need to base all basic tenents of interpersonal behaviour and proper ethics in a social environment on the fear from the wrath of an almighty supreme being creates a situation where those not adhering to the same belief can, and will, find ways to justify their own agendas of murder and genocide by claiming to either be doing gods work (crusaders and missionaries) or a simply claim that since they do not adhere to the same religion as their opponent, their opponent AND ALL HIS/HER VIEWS must be worng and must be silenced (by violence if necessary).

In summary, while we once needed religion to make sure some of the basic tenents of life in civilized society were adhered to (thou shalt not kill), today we have the capacity to understand that there are better reasons to not commit murder than the decree of a higher being. In fact, we owe it to ourselves to abandon these beliefs and move on.

I submit that the days of religion are numbered. As far as I'm concerned, good ridance.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:46 AM

Please be aware that your view of the world is less than 1% of 1%. I also think that religion's days are numbered. I just hope it's not because Iran aquires nuclear weapons and gives them to a terrorist organzation (or they are acquired through some other means) and this results in a domino scenario and destruction of the human race. Who knows though, that may be what it takes to make religion a thing of the past.
BTW what do you think would replace religion? I have read essays that equate science and religion. Science having it's own priests and profits and "higher" objectives. Is science mearly an evolution of philosophy and religion and just a better way to approach the same fundamental problems every religion and philosophy attempts to address?
Old 04-25-2005, 11:13 AM

I think we have done enough thread hijaking here. If you want to discuss further, create a new thread labled "religion vs. rational self interest" and I'll be happy to continue there (feel free to repost what you already typed).
Old 04-25-2005, 02:22 PM

1. All religions believe that their way is the right and only way.
2. If their way is the right way, the way chosen by others must be wrong.
3. If others are wrong and I am right - I can either teach (save) those others or pitty them for missing out on the "truth

1: This applies to Judaism, but Judaism accepts that people are not Jews and as such makes allowances for them. Basically, there are only a couple ethical laws they have to follow, and they are pretty much "don't kill anyone, don't steal from anyone, etc."

2: Yep.

3: Now here is where you're way off. The Jewish religion looks at the Jewish nation as an ethnicity, a race. You're either in, or you're not. You can study all there is to know and keep the commandments and convert, but that's the only way in if you're not born in. Conversion rules are very strict, so I don't think there's much to the "we have to save everyone" idea.

Most rabbis won't even convert a non-Jew if she's getting married to a Jew because the rule is such that all conversions must be because of a love of the people, not because they just want to get married.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3: Now here is where you're way off. The Jewish religion looks at the Jewish nation as an ethnicity, a race. You're either in, or you're not. You can study all there is to know and keep the commandments and convert, but that's the only way in if you're not born in. Conversion rules are very strict, so I don't think there's much to the "we have to save everyone" idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is only partially correct. Jews don't go out converting everyone else, and they definetly aren't looking to add a bunch of people to the Jewish religion. But this isn't to say they don't segregate themselves from other religions and communities. The hebrew term "Am Sgoola" (loosely translated as "chosen people") is a cornerstone of Jewish religion - it defines being a jew and there are very few jews who don't believe they are in the right while others are inthe wrong. Pity is probably the wrong word to use, it is more like a gleeful satisafction that ones religion is "chosen" (Jewish case) while others are "on the outs".
Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Stories like this

[Ghandi was killed] by an Islamic radical...

Wrong. Try again with your head out of your ass.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well you know who's responsible for astroturf, don't you? The Jews. They hate grass. Always have, always will.

And everyone else is right. You're a retard.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you guys who hate me because I asked a simple question.

Yet, I am Jewish.

Would you like to kill me because I don't agree with you [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Being Jewish doesn't mean that you know all about Jews, Judaism, or being Jewish. Why didn't you just write a manifesto and post it here instead of starting a thread with this 9/11 conspiracy nonsense.

Your attempt at cunning is completely transparent and anything but.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why didn't you just write a manifesto and post it here instead of starting a thread with this 9/11 conspiracy nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you just let this thread die like it deserves too? Why whould you bump it to the top of the forum and draw attention to it when nobody has responded in more than a week?