Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: people with a lot of posts who play micro-limit (little content)

[ QUOTE ]
I post a lot and despite what everyone has told me in the past, I'm just now moving up to $3/6. I've also only logged a few thousand hands of $2/4 and $1/2 full, FWIW. My roll should handle a $5/10 game, but I'm risk averse and am playing for fun rather than a job, so I haven't felt the desire to move up too quickly.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I read and posted a TON in micro while I was playing .5/1 and 1/2, and I spent a total of 30K at both. I think I can beat 2/4 and 3/6, and some good players have told me the same. However, I insist that I win 300 BB at every limit before I move up. I'm playing 2/4 now after just having moved up, and I'm even gonna win 300 BB 2/4 to move to 3/6 even though I should only have to win 150 BB at 2/4 before I'm rolled for 3/6. and due to bonuses/rakeback I'm rolled even higher. so away I grind, learning and posting the whole time.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:38 PM

I have fun playing at micros. In 9 months of part time playing I've made over $3500 playing almost exclusively .50/1 and 1/2 not counting bonuses with brief forays into 2/4 and 3/6. I'm terribly risk averse and get sick when I lose $100 or more. I have also withrawn out large chunks of my BR to pay for things for my family (home improvements, dentist, 2001fp etc...)

Playing micros I can reliably count on winning almost every session I play (especially 4-tabling for over a couple hours at a time) and have fun doing it. The players are downright funny. This is a hobby for me and I have no need for adding stress in my life. Every time I've jumped up up to 3/6 I've not had much fun even when I've won due to the stress. When I've lost I've had a hard time sleeping. I have a normal 9-5 job and kids and can't allow myself to let poker become all consuming. It's just not for me. I always play under bonuses and have sustained a high enough winrate to make this pastime enjoyable and profittable at the same time. I will probably move up in limits someday as my bread and butter game but will always go back and play some micro sessions for fun from time to time.

I also post in micros because there are some awesome posters there who are patient and kind. I have learned a ton and have enjoyed watching all of our knowledge bases grow. The small stakes forum has a rude edge that I continually get turned off by. I suspect that I will continue to post in micros long after I finally decide to "graduate".
Old 02-17-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The small stakes forum has a rude edge that I continually get turned off by

[/ QUOTE ]

its a friendly sarcasm, and is usually given to people we know well, not newcomers (at least ones who aren't retarded [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])
Old 02-17-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The small stakes forum has a rude edge that I continually get turned off by

[/ QUOTE ]

its a friendly sarcasm, and is usually given to people we know well, not newcomers (at least ones who aren't retarded [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the sarcasm and humor in small stakes. Some of the regulars there are hysterical. I just can't stand the frequency of comments like, "only an idiot would raise the river," and "I can't believe someone suggested raising the turn. What a moron." Both of those insults were directed at me BTW when I was a total small stakes n00b by by small stakes regulars who didn't know me at all. In both instances the plays were complex and could have been excellent points of disccussion BTW but I didn't bother to try to learn from them. They certainly weren't joking with me or teaching me anything, they were showing off at my expense. I see that crap all the time and it turns me off. There's no doubt the actual poker advice is worthwhile but it's often bundled with insults. It just seems like many of the posters have so little to learn themselves that they spend their time comparing their poker-cock sizes and proving superiority rather than engaging in meaningful dialogue and teaching those who have come to learn and discuss. This is not true of many of the posters and I lurk small stakes quite frequently myself. I also appreciate that there is a huge trickle down effect to the micro forum from lessons learned in small stakes but man I get sick of rude people.

I may be a moron and and idiot and am quilty of poor analysis but I don't need to read that I'm an idiot. I much prefer well-reasoned arguments as to why the play is not correct.

All that being said retards that don't read the goddamn faq and clutter the forum with meaningless drivel deserve to be cowed like dogs from time to time!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All that being said retards that don't read the goddamn faq and clutter the forum with meaningless drivel deserve to be cowed like dogs from time to time!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll endeavor to begin bringing the gospel of the FAQ to small stakes.