Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 AM

Default Re: Ok guys. Admit it. Poker is NOT cool.

I apologize for using that word.

Rusty
Old 08-17-2005, 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I do small scale, short term, low risk, high return investment."

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. Abbreviate. Tell them you are "in finance".

A definition of NLTH poker that works very well is:

TRADING in the relative value of 2 or more poker hands in a 4-bet sequence, where any bet is limited only by your current quantity of chips."
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 AM

Don't forget about the right wing wackos! I'm not talking about people on the right of the political spectrum, but the people on the FAR right. They see it as a sin against God, and all that is unholy, along with abortion, gays, and Franklin D. Roosevelt. There, I said it. What!? What!?

I was watching some poker show lately (it might have been the most recent WSOP coverage on ESPN, the New Orleans event), and one of the commentators (probably Norman Chad) said that we need more players from Texas. We need people to follow in the footsteps of Doyle Brunson, Amarillo Slim, "Sailor" Roberts, and all the other greats. Did you all know that gambling (poker is considered gambling in Texas, not a game of skill, like in California) is STILL illegal in Texas? The state is too conservative to jump on the bandwagon. I say we just we apologize to Mexico about the Mexican-American War, and let them have Texas. Or at least not allow anyone from Texas to be president any more. The way I see it, they're batting 0-3. I also have theories about cutting the south (Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida mostly) off of the Union, and letting it drift off into the Carribbean Sea, and letting South America deal with it. Their backasswards policies have made the U.S. look like a Gomer Pyle to the world. And how is Robert E. Lee an "American Hero"? Wasn't his biggest accomplishment trying to SECEDE from the Union? I'm sorry but if the colonies would have lost the Revolutionary war, George Washington would not have gone down as a British hero. But here I go, grandstanding on my political soapbox. Sorry, I'm a poly-sci major, and when I get going, I can't stop.

So what were we talking about, playing AK on the second hand of a final table tournament at Party? Oh, right the thing about poker being cool.

If you really wanted to sound smart, tell them something like, "I'm conducting experiments to see how mathematics and psychology is affected in real world competitions, when game theory is periodically used." Or, use something that sounds like it uses a lot of math. Nothing slows down a good time more than a conversation about math. Trust me on this one, I used to be a math major.

Anyway, I went off topic for a while here, but I hope I've been of help. Have a good one. Now, go out and get you some booty!

Rusty
Old 08-17-2005, 09:19 AM

Come on Don, don't be a rube, and get on the trolley!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
peaks their curiosity

[/ QUOTE ]

piques their curuosity

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're going to correct someone's grammar, at least learn to spell/type.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:39 PM

Depends what you are after. If you want a relationship then you may as well come out and just tell her you are a poker player. If you lie or mislead her then when she finds out she won't be very happy.

On the other hand, if you just want a shag then why bother mixing in grains of truth. Just come up with the most impressive lie that you can tell convincingly, whether that is that you are a pro athlete, defence lawyer, surgeon or senator.