Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: How bad is it not to get stitches?

Reasonable response:

This is only relevant if it is a clean cut.

Clean the wound extremely well with antibacterial soap and use an antibacterial ointment.

Close the skin together as much as possible and use superglue to seal it shut. DO NOT DO THIS if you will be applying superglue to exposed flesh. The superglue should eb sealing the seam where the skin meets.

No, I'm not joking.

Freakin
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im surprised no one done the THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS thing, but seriously can you take a picture? I want to see you touching your bone .

[/ QUOTE ]

Still more gayness in OOT. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2005, 05:25 PM

A short story about whether or not to get stitches:

This past summer I was umping a city league slowpitch softball game. A foul ball hit straight back got caught on top of the backstop where the net connects to it (about 15 or so feet?). Between innings, in an attempt to impress the city league softball groupies, I climbed up to the top only using my arms, which showed the groupies how effectively I could handle my bodyweight.

Once I got to the top, I grabbed the fence, and punctured my hand on one of the sharp edges. Because I didn't want to hurt my chances of boning a groupie, I calmly climbed back down. I assessed my hand and noticed blood gushing from the canyon-like wound.

Due to crappy student insurance and laziness, I decided to forego stitches. It healed very poorly and now there's a gross-looking, discolored dime-sized bump. Despite its appearance, it is pretty sweet for when I rub one off. Almost like a tounge ring for my hand.

The moral of the story? Depending on which side of your finger it is on (stroking or non-stroking), I would make my decision on whether or not to get stitches.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:16 PM

Hey Brass any update?

Please get on the antobiotics even if you don't think you need to.

I had a coworker with a small cut that got terribly infected and he almost lost his finger.

With a cut as big as yours it hard to tell if it just hurts or if it's infected. Just do it man!

Best,
Pinga
Old 04-01-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Brass any update?

Please get on the antobiotics even if you don't think you need to.

I had a coworker with a small cut that got terribly infected and he almost lost his finger.

With a cut as big as yours it hard to tell if it just hurts or if it's infected. Just do it man!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been changing the dressing every 4 hours or so, dousing it with some hydrogen peroxide, and also smearing an antibiotic ointment onto the wound before redressing it. It seems to have formed a delicate seal, and I'm just taking it easy. Once, I forgot about it and stretched my hand out reaching for something. This sent a shooting pain down through my hand, but last time I dressed it, it still looked ok. The skin is still just a little swollen (not too bad) and there is about a 1/8 inch border of discolored white skin around the wound as well (better than red and inflamed, right?). As far as pain, it's perfectly fine. I think I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. It actually did not hurt at all when it first happened. There was a little discomfort in the form of a dull pain last night as I was trying to get to sleep, but it hasn't been that bad at all. Thanks for your concern.