Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Re: A harsh but honest message to all 2+2\'ers

Lawrence,

Your ignorance is showing.

[ QUOTE ]

1) Honor
2) Grace
3) Kindness
4) Trying to make the world a better place
5) Trying to make poker a better game for all
5) Family Feud with Richard Dawson (and if you want to throw in some Ray Combs too go right ahead...i stopped at louie anderson)

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You have two number 5's.
2. Your first worst Family Feud answer of all time occurred on the British version of the show and was one of many of the contestant's same answers involving Turkey.
3. The worst answer is: "Name something you drink a lot of when you are sick." . . . . "LIQUIDS!"

-AA
Old 11-01-2004, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He appears to be a nice and gracious man and would never choose the heinous acronym posted earlier (i.e. STFU)

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... I wasn't aware that Mr. Dawson was permitted to choose the survey results for use on the show.

[/ QUOTE ]

please don't nitpick with me about this...if theres something i know it is these

1) Honor
2) Grace
3) Kindness
4) Trying to make the world a better place
5) Trying to make poker a better game for all
5) Family Feud with Richard Dawson (and if you want to throw in some Ray Combs too go right ahead...i stopped at louie anderson)

Worst Family Feud answer of all time:

Name something you bring to the beach--->answer: Turkey

2nd worst answer of all time

Name something you find in a birdcage--->answer: A hampster

hey the poster above started this with that STFU! reference..i take insult to that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you for real? You can't seriously act like that in real life or you would be either ridiculed or punched in the face. Poker is a man's (metaphorically) game, and no amount of whining sissies is going to "make it like polo" or some [censored] like that.

Doubly so that these forums are on the internet, and people say whatever comes to mind because there is no real need for a filter.

I'm sorry to break it to you, but nothing you do is going to change anything about poker or about the world.

And just to give another little taste of how cordial internet forums are:

Old 11-01-2004, 03:54 PM

Lawrence,

Here is a helpful tool you will find on the forums.
[ QUOTE ]

*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

-AA
Old 11-01-2004, 04:09 PM

"Needless to say, doing 25 sets for bi's 25 sets for tris and 30 sets for back ALL in one day as recommended in one portion of the book"

If this is what you got out of Arnold's book you have no chance of being more than a moderately winning poker player, you are incapable of learning.

The fact that you take these responses personally is a huge weakness. The good posters don't have to respond to newbie questions, they don't have to repeat fundamentals over and over again. If making fun of newbs and bad play makes posting a response more enjoyable for them, you better be glad that found a reason to reply.

Just filter for info, don't get emotional. I can't believe you even have to be told these things.

I sure hope that this thread was a joke.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:19 PM

Clearly a troll.

Okay, I could buy that he doesn't like the forumns. I could buy he thinks people are too harsh.

But throwing the that anti-french line in? Classic troll.

Taking offense to Family Feud? Classic troll.

As far as trolls go, pretty subtle. I give it an A-
Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 PM

Your gripe is legitimate, and so are the responses saying bad behavior is common all over the internet.

What's silly is the argument that since bad behavior is common, it somehow should be common. Isn't that kind of like when children say they did something stupid because "everyone else was doing it" and get told, "If your friends all jumped off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?"

But as the saying goes that "Most people live lives of quiet desperation," most people have little outlet for aggression that wouldn't ruin their lives, so instead of dealing with it themselves, you're going to find it comimg out here, where the weak and anonymous can feel powerful and blow off steam. And that's not going to change easily.

I've played various computer games online before, like RTS's and Everquest, and noticed a ferocious snobbery in many of them toward newcomers that winds up being disastrous and helps dry up the community eventually. Players work so hard to chase out other players that they're cutting off their own nose to spite their face, as the game withers and dies because most people don't like being under constant assault from creeps and punks and wondering where all the normal people are.

2+2 isn't nearly that bad, and there are a lot more existing potential and existing poker players than ever got into playing PC games, but still, I have to wonder how smart it is to chase players away by being a jerk or a snob.

New players are like the plankton in the poker ecosystem, providing money for everyone on the food chain, reaching eventually all the way to the sharks and whales. People who get their rocks off trying to chase them away from a forum do the same thing we hate to see table coaches do while we're playing -- get rid of the people you want most, and who the game needs playing even if there's no chance you'll ever see them in your game, because they feed the OTHER fishes higher up the line that eventually fill your belly.

I think the people who encourage them to stay and feel good about the potential of getting into poker and having a good time do themselves and everyone else a favor, and the people who are rude are at the very least short-sighted.

You can make perfectly good responses without being rude, and the assertion that being nasty to posters and players asking questions is "for their own good" is a transparently disingenuous cover story. A one-off silly remark is one thing, but consistent jabs at anyone new trying to enter the community and have some fun and profit by it shows not only a failure of character, which a lot of people don't care about or understand, but a failure of imagination. The same imagination rude posters often seem to feel they're being clever with. Coming up with an insult is easy -- no challenge compared to coming up with a productive answer.

Anyway, the internet will never be totally rudeness and stupidity-free, but that's no reason to celebrate that behavior or assert that it's actually productive in any way whatsoever. I doubt there has ever been a person on the internet who has never been insulted before and is therefore learning a valuable life lesson due to the kindness of the jerky remarks of some internet punk. 2+2 will never be a perfect environment, but it's both better and worse than some. Ideally, everyone should have a thick skin, and ideally, they shouldn't need it quite so much. The "beat up the newbie" competitions aren't nearly as productive as the help that encourages him to stay around, play more, and tell his friends.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:49 PM

Lawrence Frank; Are you a "Masochist?" You knew what kind of reaction you would receive by posting this Turd.

Hook up with Paul Phillips, he is more of your type. Or..., are you really Paul Phillips in disguise. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Needless to say, doing 25 sets for bi's 25 sets for tris and 30 sets for back ALL in one day as recommended in one portion of the book"

If this is what you got out of Arnold's book you have no chance of being more than a moderately winning poker player, you are incapable of learning.

The fact that you take these responses personally is a huge weakness. The good posters don't have to respond to newbie questions, they don't have to repeat fundamentals over and over again. If making fun of newbs and bad play makes posting a response more enjoyable for them, you better be glad that found a reason to reply.

Just filter for info, don't get emotional. I can't believe you even have to be told these things.

I sure hope that this thread was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me assure you i am not joking... i did not go on my initial diatribe to futhur some juvenile prank. I am here to change poker for the better...change this forum, change attitudes and change perspectives...I think pop culture (i.e. Tv radio movies and the like) are good references for real life situations...thats why i defend richard dawson, quote michael jackson, and reference the british version of family feud (i knew this Mr. Previous Poster who pointed this out, i dont have to relegate "worst Family feud answers of all time" strictly to the American version)...if i can make one person viewing this post, and not even responding, kinder at the table, not as brash in making a raise like josh arieh, or start screaming like a maimed llama like Mattius Anderson when you win a hand, then i have done well and my deed for the day is done. Think of it like the scene in the "grinch who stole christmas" where he is on the snow capped mountaintop and all the presents are going to fall into oblivion, but his heart grows and grows until it bursts with love kindness and consideration. That is a world we all should strive to live in...where everyone has a bursting heart (not a heart attack but of love) ...and that my friends is a poker table i would like to sit down with you at and play a civilized wonderful game of cards.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:37 PM

It's cool that everyone does their part, but nobody's going to change the world all by themselves either.

It's enough to try not to make things any worse. Actually pretty huge.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:45 PM

"I made this post for one reason. Because poker players get a bad rap. They are, in general, seen as 'mopes', who waste away their day. They are seen as rude, ignorant and obnoxious by a large portion of society."

I don't think it's a bad rap. It's fact. Many poker players play poker because they're too out of whack to make a go in other jobs where they'd have to be sociable.

Having said that, there are plenty of nice people here who can make their points while being nice. I don't think there's a higher percentage of jerks here than anywhere else.

When you have to tell someone to be nice, it's usually a waste of time.