Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Very good baseball game on ESPN2 right now.

If that had been you then you really need to read 2+2 more.

had just gotten lit-up playing 4/8 in Tunica so he was naturally having a few drinks. He wasn't exactly playing very tight. This was 2002 when he was with Colo Sprgs and I think he was with the Tampa Yankees in 98 or 99 or so.

I can only imagine how much meal money you can pick up on the back of the bus against other fellow ball-players.
I didn't really know how to play poker when I was traveling everywhere by bus with a bunch of baseball or hockey players. 2+2 could have come in handy then.

I think the guys running the Central Lg now are better than who they had before.
I know they were planning a new stadium in Corpus Christi (assume they got that team up and running) and a couple other teams are in reasonable shape. Probably a couple teams playing on really bad fields also I suspect.

if you're not going to be picked up by an organization then you should possibly consider the fun you would have of getting to play a season in your home-town. Not everyone gets to do that.
But it sounds like there could still be a decent shot of an organization giving you a call.

Since you only mentioned your short-season experience I was assuming you were younger. Didn't know you were A+ or AA material already.

Yeah - the Atlantic league would be pretty good....but you're right that it's a hell of a long way away. Maybe you get a call....or maybe they decide they don't want to keep you...or they use in a trade and you're stuck with an Atlantic or Can-Am team that is less appealing.
All that fun after making the long-haul up there. I understand your hesitancy.

Legends Field is really terrific...even with mostly lousy crowds.
I liked Dodgertown a lot....but it's not exactly what one could call 'modern' (this was before some of the new clubhouses and other new stuff were built).
You were only there for one series I assume....but those guys have to sit on those benches with nothing over the heads for 70 games a year.

Once called a 'tripleheader' at Legends Field until 2:11am.
We had a couple rain-outs and a suspended game that week.
So we picked up game 1 in the 6th inning...then in the 3rd inning of game 2 we had a rain delay that lasted 3 and a half freaking hours. Went extra innings too.
Then game 3 started at 12:05am or so.

The whole thing went from 5:05pm until 2:11am.
it was toward the end of the first half and both teams had playoff chances....otherwise it would easily have been cancelled.

I was in that league for 6 years....lots of rainy nights and double-headers.

I've been to Ft. Worth a couple times in my brief stint as the broadcaster for the minor-league hockey team in Memphis (got fired mid-season by a nutso owner who canned people almost at random every other week).

Our hotel was in that area with all the clubs and bars, etc. Walking distance from the old arena where the hockey team plays (Ft Worth Coliseum I think it's called??).

Seemed like a pretty cool area to me.
Women aplenty.
Sure beat Elmira or Vero Beach for nightlife. Wouldn't mind a whole season there myself.