Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: is this a wise investment?

im sorry, but this sounds like a horrible idea (if you want to ever see your money again).

I can see where your comming from though. Ive grinded it out in low limit poker (mostly .5/1 with a bit of 1/2) for about 3 years now, and have had friends who were interested in picking it up. Ive considered staking them, but decided against it and just sent them to instantbankroll like a few posters have suggested. All but one have busted out because of "bad luck"...

If after all this you still want to stake some ucla students, send me a PM cause i wouldnt mind a stake to take a shot at 2/4 and 3/6 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find that funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking as a person who's family has been affected by birth defects (and, no, that's not a variant on the old, "My Mom's dead," comeback to mother-jokes), I do not.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:50 PM

stake me at 5/10 6max [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

for real though this is a bad idea
Old 08-05-2005, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, apparently my response to Greg J is being interpreted as mean-spirited.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't think you were serious, but I guess I can see how some ppl would -- since you are new and we don't know you from any other bum off the street.

It's all good. Birth defects are probably a topic that is better left untouched though.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They have a good amount of home game experience, and have watched some WSOP and WPT stuff

[/ QUOTE ]

these two points are definitely -EV. other than that the whole thing is prob. +EV, if you're willing to lose friends over it.

edit: eh, nm, I grunched this one. my points have been made and the whole thing has been beaten to death. see my next post, it's much funnier.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, actually this thread helped me make up my mind, ironic as it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough, but before you make up your mind completely I think you should watch the episode of Full House where Danny stakes Uncle Jesse in a rock-off against Bon Jovi. I think we all learned something from that one.
Old 08-06-2005, 12:39 AM

Default Sure, why not?

I think too many explicit requirements is patronizing. I don't think it's a bad idea in general, however, although you should be prepared to lose the money. Make them buy the book(s) first, of course. If they aren't willing to spend $20 to $40 for the knowledge, you don't want to stake them anyway. Do hand quizzes with them, fine. Posting requirements? That's a little odd. If you're going to take 50 % of profits, you might want to set up a three-month deal or something. Let's say you loan 5 friends $500 each for Party. 2 of your friends break even after bonuses are considered, 2 make $100 from bonus profits, and one goes broke. Your net here is -$400. But after three months, maybe two of them have gone broke, one's broken even, one's made $600 and the other's made $1800. Your net is +$200.

Also, if you don't have any ethical problems with this, you can take over the losing players accounts and pump a few more bonuses in over the year, getting back most of your losses. I'm planning on staking a friend in this sort of arrangement. If she loses the $500 I take over her accounts and get it back. Otherwise, I chop winnings with her after 3 months. The motivation for me here is primarily her finances: I think if she can learn to be a break-even or winning poker player, it's a good part-time deal with all the bonuses out there.