Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: 100 Best Movies of All Time

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps it's like trying to compare different era's in sports.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Present-day athletes are so physically superior through better training regimens and so on that there's no contest. Today's athletes are better.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

era's......not athletes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, as in which was best/most fun to watch? Got it.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!...np

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 PM

dumb and dumber #1 and its not close
Old 05-23-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn. The thing is I love Lost in Translation and if there is any movie that is close to City of God that would be it. There are days when I would rank Lost in Translation higher. I do love that film.

But anyway...odds are, if a movie is the best film made over a 5-year span, it is most likely one of the best 100 films made over a 100 year span. And, based on the general opinion of this forum, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that City of God is just that good.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your logic holds up. It's not particularly safe to assume that one five year stretch of filmmaking is equal to the next. There have been regular periods of exceptionally high creativity and lower creativity in the movies.

And these forums are comprised of a high percentage of people 25 and under with little life experience and little comprehension of movie history; their tastes in movies and ideas about them inevitably show it. That's not a knock; it's just the way the world works. You're not going to find many 25 year olds, perhaps especially in America, who have much familiarity with films of different times, especially across different cultures.

If you're going to use the taste of the general run of OOT posters to back you up on things that require broad knowledge, you're drawing water from the wrong well. Basing an argument on the tastes of the average mob probably isn't a good idea anyway. The average guy eats garbage, watches garbage, and does all kinds of stupid stuff regularly.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Damn. The thing is I love Lost in Translation and if there is any movie that is close to City of God that would be it. There are days when I would rank Lost in Translation higher. I do love that film.

But anyway...odds are, if a movie is the best film made over a 5-year span, it is most likely one of the best 100 films made over a 100 year span. And, based on the general opinion of this forum, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that City of God is just that good.

Will

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think your logic holds up. It's not particularly safe to assume that one five year stretch of filmmaking is equal to the next. There have been regular periods of exceptionally high creativity and lower creativity in the movies.

And these forums are comprised of a high percentage of people 25 and under with little life experience and little comprehension of movie history; their tastes in movies and ideas about them inevitably show it. That's not a knock; it's just the way the world works. You're not going to find many 25 year olds, perhaps especially in America, who have much familiarity with films of different times, especially across different cultures.

If you're going to use the taste of the general run of OOT posters to back you up on things that require broad knowledge, you're drawing water from the wrong well. Basing an argument on the tastes of the average mob probably isn't a good idea anyway. The average guy eats garbage, watches garbage, and does all kinds of stupid stuff regularly.

[/ QUOTE ]

...it must feel good to have someone push allin when you have the mortal nuts...

NH Sir!

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]