Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Movie
Crash 17 70.83%
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy 7 29.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?

First of you don't know she's not black.

Secondly, even if she is white, I'll bet dollars to donuts that over 95% of the Lakeisha's in this country are at least part black.

Third, in Scalf's post he was very obviously expressing disdain for a particular subculture. We are left to guess which subculture. Fortunately Scalf leaves us lots of clues and when you put them all together it becomes clear that he is ranting against the black population.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:21 PM

scalf claimed it was my prejudices that caused me to think he was referring to blacks, that he had no such intention. I was wondering if others read his posts the same way I did, or if indeed I was misreading his intent.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 PM

Are they playing Connect 4 here or Connect 5? Cause if it's connect 4 isn't this game already over? And if so why is this guy going again? Diagonals count right?

Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what "cultrual group," that he normally actively seeks to avoid because they do things slowly and without regard to accuracty or completeness, do you think he meant by using "LaKeisha" in the title of the post?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know because I don't make these generalizations. I find them to be basically a bunch of bs.

Going back to your original question:

Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?

I can't answer that question conclusively based on what he posted.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM

I made the association because it's a classic racist sterotype. If somebody said "members of a certain cultural group that have big noses and usually try to make as much money as possible and control the world's banks and money supply," I would know they were referring to Jews not because I'm prejudiced against Jews but because these are prototypical bigoted attitudes towards Jews. Here's a rewritten version of scalf's post:

Shlomo the teller at the bank

this young man did an excellent job; very quick, yet accurate..even found a ten dollar bill I did no see.

funny; usually i actively seek other tellers, since members of his culture tend to be cheap money-hoarders and steal my money since they own most of the banks.

my lucky day..

Would it make me prejudiced because I knew that the poster was referring to Jews?

"Andy, have you ever changed the wording or felt uncomfortable saying something around an individual just because he/she was black? Do you think you would have felt that discomfort if you had no notions of racial stereotypes?"

No. And I don't actively seek to avoid black check-out people because I don't think they do things slowly or without regard to accuracy or completeness.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Andy: "Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?"

Adios: "I can't answer that question conclusively based on what he posted."

scalf:
[/b]same people[/b] a few years ago in l.a. were outraged that a repetitve dui, drugee, who lead police on a dangerous long chase was mistreated by police;...so it was this same race that felt it was appropriate to stop drivers ofanother race; drag them from their truck and beat them nearly to death

Isn't this Rodney King and Reginald Denny? He says "this same race." What race might he be referring to?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of you don't know she's not black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly and there's nothing in scalfs post that would convince me that in his post was about blacks.

[ QUOTE ]
Secondly, even if she is white, I'll bet dollars to donuts that over 95% of the Lakeisha's in this country are at least part black.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know but I'll accept your judgement on this.

[ QUOTE ]
Third, in Scalf's post he was very obviously expressing disdain for a particular subculture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I said it indicated a bias in my first response to you didn't I? Did I not indicate this in my initial response to Andy's post as well?

[ QUOTE ]
We are left to guess which subculture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes we are and I think what you're driving at is that it indicates a high probability of a certain one. But that's not how I interpreted Andy's original question.

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately Scalf leaves us lots of clues and when you put them all together it becomes clear that he is ranting against the black population.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if that's fortunate or not.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 PM

Is it the "pc police" who devised these terms? I thought "black" and "African-American" came into vogue because of usage by the group themselves, that this is the term themselves preferred. Is this correct?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM

About what?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM

You wrote above:

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think scalf entitled his post "LaKeisha at check-out counter?"

[/ QUOTE ]

You are stating that I believe he's entitled to make this post. Nowhere, no how did I ever make this claim. Getting back to your original question:

Was Scalf Referring to Blacks in These Posts?

I maintain that in the post in question you can't conclusively state that he was. This is in no way a statement by me that he is entitled to make such posts.