Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Cards at Party versus Brick & Mortar

[ QUOTE ]

serious. I'm at work, so don't have PT, but have email of last 100 hands: 5 full houses, 2 four of a kinds, 3 flushes, 6 straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that's bad? I played 2 hands last night, and someone got a flush in both hands. That means 100% of winning hands were flushes! What are the odds of that? Oh yeah, it must be rigged.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:43 PM

seems like your post is serious.

1. 10k hands is a small sample-size too fwiw.

2. It's unfortunate that you think this way.

To those giving all the 'are you serious?' questions to guys who think the 'cards at party are funny': Yes. They are serious. There are MANY of them out there. It truly is amazing (and I'm actually surprised there aren't MORE of them on here).
Old 09-21-2005, 05:17 PM

I know 10k is a small sample size, but it is not an insignificant one.

What are the odds of 6 royal flushes in 5k hands on a ten handed table... Pretty small, I am too lazy to compute it.

I just don't see these things at UB, Stars, Paradise, or Pacific. I know there are suckouts I saw at B&M the money go in AA v AK with a board of AT3, turn J, river Q. I know these things happen. I think they are just happening with greater frequency than they should at Party. I know one can argue that it is due to the games being looser, and I agree more of these types of things will happen in loose games. I am just stating that more are happening that should even in loose games.

I don't know what other way to think. It is not that I have not won money on party/empire, the cards just don't seem right. I will try to think of a way to "prove" this, by computing that the underdog is winning more than the fair share, but since you don't see every hand to a showdown, and there are multiple people in the pot, computing this is rather difficult.

Also, btw, I remember a thread in the probability forum with you last year. What was your girlfriends middle name? lava-something?..?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:20 PM

OMG 6 ROYAL FLUSHES!!!!!

I've been playing for 2 years and I've seen 2. I call BS.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM

You are calling me of stating BS or are you calling PartyPoker BS?

Either way, it doesn't matter, why would I make it up. Once I get pokertracker, I can find the hand numbers (I think this is a feature in pokertracker, that I can sort by what won?).

Also, to those who say why would PartyPoker cheat its players, when they already make so much money? The answer to that is relatively simple: to make more money. It is clear how that they would make more money by keeping the fish playing longer. 1) more players are playing, generating more rake, 2) attracts strong players to play on the site to play against the fish, generating more rake.

I do not get this feeling at Stars UB or Paradise.

I have read entire long webpages about people who think party is unfair. A lot of them are of course kooks, who just don't know probabilities and bad beats and poker. I know most of the people here think I am a kook too for thinking that something is wrong with the deal at party. However, let me give you some background. I have a degree in Math, I have played B&M for 15 years, and online for just a month. I have no motive for saying this about Party poker. I just see something quite different at party than I see at UB, stars and paradise.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what other way to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should remember that crazy things can happen over a semi-extended period of time (such as 10k hands) and that it's pretty ridiculous to think that the cards run differently at party just based on your limited observation.

for every 10k hands of semi-wacky stuff you see at Party there is someone experiencing the exact same thing on UB or Paradise while he is completely convinced that Party's cards are just kind of "not as weird." or something like that.

I made a recent post about bad-beats and crazy-happenings online on my blog actually where I relate much if this stuff to sports.

edit - mostly you should just remember that the human-brain often-times tries to find patterns...even when it shouldn't.
When I was a BJ dealer I think almost EVERY player would do this.
"He's gotten BJ 3 hands in a row...he's hot and you shouldn't play here."
"It's a good shoe for the players...don't mess it up by adding an extra player. every time a new player comes in the shoe turns to crap."

etc etc.

you really have to get beyond your current way of thinking or else you'll pretty much be doomed.
you have to accept that regardless of what site you play on you will have stretches of 1k or 10k hands where you will see supposedly wacky things happen.

These things are happening all the time and you usually don't even know about it.

What about the time that 4 players all sitting next to each other ALL got dealt 72o on the SAME HAND.
You don't remember that one?? That's because they ALL folded before the flop and you never saw their cards.

Regarding my GF's middle-name (this was from SEVERAL months ago):
She didn't want me to know what it was because she hated it and there wasn't really a record of it anywhere since she's not from the U.S.
i had a handful of clues that I was able to dig out of her including:
- 8 letters
- begins with L
- 3 of the letters are vowels
- ends in an A (predictable for a latina name)
- one of the consonants was used twice
- no letter was used consecutively
- no Q, W, X (and a few others).

anyway...I wanted to get some sort of computer program that would incorporate all the clues into it and spit a print-out of EVERY possibility based on these clues...but then I mostly gave up on it (although I had it in the back of my mind to get back to it).

Well...on the PPM cruise in March I brought my lap-top with me and she was able to e-mail her Mom from my address.
The return e-mail from her Mom contained her Mom's FULL name (where you see the sender's name...not their e-mail address...like on outlook-express).

Hooray for me...as her Mom's middle-name is the same as her daughter's so the 'secret' was revealed.

Teresa's middle-name is Ludgarda (which would have appeared SOMEWHERE in that long computer list of 8-letter L-word combinations along with all the non-sensical LBAFBEGA type words).
Old 09-21-2005, 05:59 PM

I know what you are saying. I have played online for a year and a half and in the beginning I thought alot of it was weird but after playing over 750,000 I realize it's more a factor of just seeing so many more hands online that leads to theories of rigged poker sites. Our minds single out strange hands and try to make sense of them. I still have this problem. It seems to me that the Pokerroom network has more times where two guys have the same high pocket pairs and Paradise's tournaments seem like the chip leader has the advantage on races. I know this isn't really true but that's the way my mind makes sense of it. My guess is your just not use to the volume of hands your seeing online and it will even out after a while.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 PM

Also remember that on looser tables (like Party typically) you are more likely to get to SEE these situations.

You might have had different players hit 6 royals in a single-day or something on some other site too...but if they are never called-down so that they could show their cards you would never have known about it.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:17 PM

Gimme an "F"!

Gimme an "A"!

Gimme a "Q"!

What does it spell???
Old 09-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Ok, I was beat twice twi in under 5minutes by 4 of a kind 7's at party! I have my 4 of a kind aces cracked by a straight flush! Clearly rigged!

So, one of the conspiracy theorists, what exactly are we looking for here? I probably have over 200k Party hands in my db. What's the query to run? I'll run it on my own data if you can put it out here.

Also, fwiw, at B&M I have seen hands like 3 boats in a row, etc.