Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: The tough world of being 18 and being addicted to poker...

No way, this guy is a much better poker player than all of us. C'mon in his little home game tourneys he has won all of them but one. I can't say that I've done that.

We should all be seeking advice from him.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh, and be sure to NOT hit a jackpot, or you may have some not very happy asians waiting for you in the parking lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I have heard of people who have just left and passed on their table share...it would be pretty sickening to have to muck the jackpot hand if you were the one who was gonnna get the big share though.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find the way alot of people respond to posts like this (ie original post) very arrogant and rude. Yes the guy doesnt know alot about poker, but he knows the same amount that everyone else on this forum once knew in their life. He has an obviously high level of enthusiasm for the game, and has come to this forum seeking advice. Not to be shotdown by smart little answers by people who want to show off that they know more than him. You make fun of how he is immature etc, but really they are the qualities shining through your hilarious posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely agree with you, cianosheehan.

as for the almost 18 year old newbie, some advice. first, get a job. you are old enough to do that these days. i had my first one at 14 and haven't been unemployed in the 18 yrs. since.

scratch together $100 somehow. get pokertracker or some other tracking program for online play first. put the rest in the online poker room of your choice. you can give cash to an of-age friend and have him/her purchase PT for you and transfer $$$ from their real money account into yours.

play within your bankroll...very important. i have a nephew who gave me $50, and i transfered it from my party account to his. he built it up...in one week...to $1700+. he thought he was the bomb, so he started playing $10/20 SH and blew through EVERY PENNY in less than 2 hours. stay within your BR and in a game you are pretty confident you can beat.

study the game, move up as your bankroll grows, and have fun. don't ever think you are head and shoulders above others skill-wise. that is something that will surely put the brakes on your long term progress.

cheers!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:11 PM

wow!

Your results thus far are quite impressive. You should probably see if any 2+2ers will stake you. I think you could probably come up with a proposition that many posters would love to get in on.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:42 PM

standard deal:

I get 100% of the wins and you give me back 200% of the losses
Old 10-25-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red">
So as far as online goes, im left with UB freerolls.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My question is: What kind of poker genius thinks UB is the only poker site on the net with freerolls?

UB has quite possibly the worst freerolls on the net. Next to Stars, anyway.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No way, this guy is a much better poker player than all of us. C'mon in his little home game tourneys he has won all of them but one. I can't say that I've done that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he didnt win them all. "Out of all the TOURNAMENT home games ive played, ive won all but maybe 1"

And with the massive number of tournaments he has played in (5-7) who can blame him for forgetting he might not have taken first at one or more of them.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh, and be sure to NOT hit a jackpot, or you may have some not very happy asians waiting for you in the parking lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I have heard of people who have just left and passed on their table share...it would be pretty sickening to have to muck the jackpot hand if you were the one who was gonnna get the big share though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can somebody explain this further? Is this something crooked with the Commerce, or is it just that you're likely to get robbed on your way out?

Btw- to everybody who thinks that folks are being too harsh to the original poster, IMO- the fact that he's obviously lying makes him exempt from pity.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Btw- to everybody who thinks that folks are being too harsh to the original poster, IMO- the fact that he's obviously lying makes him exempt from pity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think hes lying, I think hes actually just that naive. I'm sure this is a typical attitude of a lot of people, go on a small run and beat locals and then think they're the greatest in the world.

Also, I'm 18 and have also been playing since 17. Its not hard.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 18, I play online for money and did so when I was 17.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. I started at 17.

[ QUOTE ]
It's really very easy, but if you're not smart enough to work it out, I doubt you're smart enough to win at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly