Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2004, 05:45 AM

Default Re: limit poker=boring t.v.

I second that it was interesting to see the most big name players in the limit hold em tourney.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:12 PM

I love to play limit, but hey, for someone who isn't that into poker, limit is definitely more boring. The table stakes "bet everything you have in front of you at any time" is the central appeal (the rush, the stakes etc.) of WPT (IMHO).

There is actually a homegame I was invited to once (NLHE tournament format) that referred to it as an "All-In Style Poker Tournament". The blind structure was the most atrocious thing I'd ever seen (it doubled every 10 minutes, literally doubled), and the players later complained that my friends at the game (I couldn't make it, and my friends generally play well) were annoying because they kept "chipping away" instead of just pushing all the time.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: no difference

[ QUOTE ]
'in his last start he threw a shut-out in which he didn't allow any runs'

'hes in the end-zone at the end of the field for a 6-point touchdown'

'he drains the trey from behind the 3-point line for a basket worth 3-points'

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm LOL laughing out loud at this stuff which made me chuckle and was amusing as well.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You'll have VVP saying in the intro: "And folks, this is pot-limit, so at any time one can bet up to the amount of the pot, or if raising a bet they can raise the amount that is in the pot after they call the original bet, so if there is $150 in the pot and you bet $50, I can put in $300, which is $50 to call the bet plus a raise of $250."

[/ QUOTE ]

you greatly overestimate VVP's ability to construct a complete sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, actually thats one of the best descriptions/introduction to pot limit i have ever heard.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

"The star spangled banner is going off in his head right now"

[/ QUOTE ]

ugghhh i hate when they say "the X is going off in his head right now" that is totally retarded, i have never hand any song go off in my head while playing and neither are any of these players, they are thinking "damn how am i going to win a shitload of chips", rather than a frickin song, this is totally stupid, althought when you posted it totally made me crack up.

fire VVP
Old 06-18-2004, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you greatly overestimate VVP's ability to construct a complete sentence.

yeah, actually thats one of the best descriptions/introduction to pot limit i have ever heard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they'd probably have Sexton give the intro. And is is an accurate description, but also more than twice as long as the intro to no limit or limit. Plus whenever I teach a newbie pot limit I always have to reinforce the rules at least two or three times. But I guess it doesn't really matter, I doubt the average viewer pays that much attention to the betting anyway. Hell, even when I watch I rarely know the blinds or stack sizes. They are always changing and the announcers are always more willing to read a line from their list of buzz lines than keep us up to date about what is going on in the actual game.

Funny, whenever I watch a baseball game I always know the inning, score, outs and the count by a quick glance at the screen.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:16 PM

Jwvdcw, it looks as if I am the only person that agrees with you. I find watching limit holdem is boring. A no-limit total bluff with 83o is exciting. A limit holdem semi-bluff doesn't have the same impact.

I'd much rather watch Hanson and Ivey bet with crap and get TPTK to lay down the hand.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:49 PM

I was very apprehensive about the limit event, but after watching it I think it's a great way to see the game played. My wife, who really was introduced to poker with the WPT, was intrigued and actually asked me a few questions about pot odds and whatnot. She quickly picked up on the fact that a different skillset was necessary for limit vs. no-limit play.

I'm not sure how Joe Average felt about the limit event, but it was a welcome change of pace for me and led to some cool poker conversations with my wife, which is always a plus.