Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Going pro Article

the math is wrong on this: for 1200 in bonuses you need 12000 raked hands of at least 25 cents.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:47 AM

lol okay, your right about the new generation. i view it as gamers who have switched from video games to poker in some circumstances. And that might give some an edge.
just out of curiosity what level do you play at 3-6 or above?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:54 AM

i'm pretty much 3/6 and 5/10 these days.

i have taken some shots with my winnings at 10/20 and 15/30. Have taken some hits occasionally...and other times just aren't caring too much for the swings. I have the bankroll to cover it but I want a larger bankroll for greater comfortability.
January was a VERY bad month for me at 15/30. 200BB's later I decided to grind it out more on the lower limits. It wasn't all due to just being on a bad downswing though. I don't think the quality of my play was where I would have liked it to be.
Yes....it obviously does take some concentration, and better than average play, to succeed on 4 tables of 15/30 online.
I've heard that the party 15/30 games aren't as good anymore now that they have the 30/60 games...but I haven't checked this out myself.

I also play a variety of tournaments including a few satellites for major events (playing more of these satellites lately).
This isn't the income that i 'count' on per-se...but I am profitable in the tournaments I play in also.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for aprox 75 hours a month you think thats bad at 3-6? ok
you need to play 150 hours to make 4k. is that good? Ypu tell me

[/ QUOTE ]

No that's not good.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:49 PM

You can add me to your "exception to the rule" list... Perhaps you should rename it, because there are a whole lot of people doing it. Those of us who play regularly know.

I am still fairly new to it, but over 3 months and well over 200k hands, I think the variance has pretty well evened out and it can be assumed that the results will remain constant.

3 months in a row, I made between 5 and 6k a month.
March - 84 hours played - 5682$ profit (~2400$ rakeback+bonus)
April - 88 hours played - 5440$ profit (~3000$ rakeback+bonus)
May - 55 hours played - 5192$ profit (~3200$ rakeback+bonus)
In may i played as a prop and that resulted in alot less hours, but alot more bonus.
My win rate has been a steady 1BB/100 and I would play 12 tables of 3/6 fullhanded. The goal was 6 hours a night 5 nights a week, but as you can see by my hours I slacked alot. I would have played 16 tables if i had room for a 4th monitor.

Other issues kicked in late may which caused me to take a month long vacation, but since then I've come back. Now that party has introduced the large number of 3/6 6max tables, I'm getting ajusted to those. My sample size isnt near big enough, but i'm sure that I am winning and i am getting bored of 4 tabling. 8 tables of 6max would result in 800ish hands an hour, as opposed to the 750/hr i got from 12tabling fullhanded.

You really need to take bonuses and rakeback into account in your calculations. 8 tables of 3/6 6max, if you break even during play, results in about 35$ an hour from rakeback alone.

If you only pick the cream of the crop when it comes to bonuses (the party skins, some of the cryptos, etc), you're looking at an extra 600$ a month minimum.

If you prop at a site with flexible rules (doesnt make you leave full tables...there are a couple of them out there) you are recieving 110% rakeback instead of 25%. This results in 10+$ per hour per 3/6 table you play.

No, it is not difficult to make a living playing low limit hold'em. Anybody who knows how to use the resources available to them (bonuses and rakeback) can make plenty of money.

And as for you not factoring rakeback in...that just shows that you dont know what you're doing. "I wouldnt put it into the equation because those things change"???? Not playing with rakeback is like handing away 3$ every hour for every table you play. This could result in 1000$ lost every month just because you didnt want to change party skins. And i have no idea why someone wouldnt take advantage of the abundance of reload bonuses that are thrown at you every week.

From my time at 12 3/6 tables I saw a whole lot of familliar faces. Id say at least 15-20 others were doing the same thing that I was. And that is only during the hours that I played.

Just because you cant jump on the bandwagon, doesn't mean there is no bandwagon.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No that's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

4k a month is an above average salary. Maybe it is less than you are accustomed to, but I would consider anything above average to be good in the general sense of the word. Especially when you can make an above average salary playing low limit poker.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No that's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]
4k a month is an above average salary. Maybe it is less than you are accustomed to, but I would consider anything above average to be good in the general sense of the word. Especially when you can make an above average salary playing low limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Above average if you work at Walmart. With all the college kids on 2+2 I'd hope your sights were set a little higher than 4K a month. My son just graduated college with a degree in theater and was offered a 24K a year starting salary for part time work while he builds his resume.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for job promotion playing poker unless you are in the top tier. Not to mention lack of benefits.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:50 AM

I think that what pokerhorse is forgetting is that there are NO losing players on 2+2, ever. Only winners. Always. So that negates his whole theory.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No that's not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Above average if you work at Walmart. With all the college kids on 2+2 I'd hope your sights were set a little higher than 4K a month. My son just graduated college with a degree in theater and was offered a 24K a year starting salary for part time work while he builds his resume.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for job promotion playing poker unless you are in the top tier. Not to mention lack of benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't forget to take off about 25% in taxes. So now he's down to $3K/M. What's his rent, grocery, utility, car payments, etc, bills? Maybe $2K/M? More if he's living in LA, SF, NY or another big city. Now he's down to 1K/M profit. So he's making a profit of 12K per year and ruining his eyes staring into his PC screen :-)

I'm sure there are a bunch of 21-26 yer olds doing just this. That's OK though. While they sit and waste away at their PC's I'm out there at the B&M playing 100NL and going home with the cocktail waitresses and Pan9 losers (cute asian babes with tight bods and willing attitudes) each night. If you don't even get to enjoy the perks of being a poker player then what's the point?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 AM

I hope some day I will be able to play the 100NL.