Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, you make an ironic point.

If it had not been for many great American "conservatives," who live in the world as IT IS, rather than the way they'd LIKE IT TO BE, we might live in a country where you were NOT, indeed, welcome to leave.

Go figure.

To put it in pop culture terms: "You WANT me on that wall. You NEED me on that wall. And while my existence might seem grotesque to you, I save lives. So grab a weapon and man a post. Otherwise, I'd rather you just said thank you, and went on your way."

Or should we simply dismantle the military, turn a blind eye to the realities of the world and human nature, stick out heads in the sand, and just, uh, "pray?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This response is oh-so-typical of the arguments the Limbaugh-Hannity "conservative" crowd like to use. (I have been using quotes around "conservatives" to separate them from the more intellectual right of center types).

This post does not address anything I put in my post. It merely makes the same insinuations that the Limbaugh-Hannity talk show crowd make all the time: The greatness of this country is a result of military tough guys (like Col. Jessop from "A Few Good Men") who live in "the real world", who are too busy handling "real world problems" to listen to what the bleeding heart pansy liberals have to say. The post also insinuates that I would like to see the dismantling of the US military(??) My post was about open public discourse without telling those who disagree that "if you don't like it, leave".

What my post has to do with the dismantling of the US military and "A Few Good Men", I'm not exactly sure.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: \"If you don\'t like it, leave\"

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with the concept behind the US being a governmental one. I think it is more along the lines of thinking that it is a great meritocracy

Well, a free country is a meritocracy to a certain extent. But that wasn't my point. I meant defined as a nation by governmental concept as opposed to defined as a nation by ethnicity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you are trying to say. I won't belabor the point.
[ QUOTE ]

those who work hard and are willing to sublimate completely into Americana will achieve "the American dream", so to speak.

I disgree completely. The US seems to me to be a place where you can "do your own thing" and succeed. I'm not sure I know what "sublimate completely into Americana" means.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has changed over the years. It used to be that people though to make it in America, you had to change your Anglicize your name at Ellis Island, learn English as fast as possible, and try to fit in to mainstream America as much as possible. This paradigm has changed drastically in the last 20-30 years and being able to succeed by "doing your own thing" is probably closer to the reality these days.
[ QUOTE ]

Regardless, this country is a pretty damn heterogenous place. Besides, there's little difference in you saying "bozo-in-chief" and your adversary saying "if you don't like it, leave." You're both exercising your right to free speech. What you say offends him, what he says offends you. There is no right to not be offended by other people's opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to deny anyone their first amendment rights. But I think you are dead wrong when comparing someone calling Bush the "bozo-in-chief" to telling someone "to leave if you don't like it". Insulting Dubya isn't the same as implying someone is unpatriotic or un-American.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Given the fact that a

bonus whore is much more likely to be 53 year old bald guy from Pittsburgh looking for an $100 bonus on Party Poker than any sort of mid 20's platinum blonde (advertising is SOO misleading), I hope the only "manly hetero" things you are going to do with them are drink and play cards.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:40 PM

Default Question for Utah

What gives with your constant references to Alger as being anti-American? There was a previous poster (who shall rename nameless) who liked to accuse people (including myself) of being Al Qaeda and Hamas sympathizers if we didn't agree with Dubya's Middle East strategy. Fortunately, he was a real wack job and no one took him seriously. So while I'm sure Mr. Alger doesn't need a lawyer, I still want to ask, what proof do you have that he wants to see American soldiers killed? 40 years ago Joe McCarthy ruined a lot of people's lives by levelling half-assed accusations at them. I highly doubt your posts will have the same effect, but they are still pretty serious accusations, given the times we live in.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:51 PM

Default LOL!!! I can Compete with the Bald Guy Angle anyway........

.....still, it would be great to nail a REAL hoe tyat's not a x-dresser - don't you think
Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 AM

Default Re: \"If you don\'t like it, leave\"

Insulting Dubya isn't the same as implying someone is unpatriotic or un-American.

It's precisely the same thing. Free speech is free speech is free speech.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Question for Utah

I still want to ask, what proof do you have that he wants to see American soldiers killed?

I have no proof, as the wording of my statement clearly indicated. In fact, my statement clearly implies that Alger has said nothing on the sort - hence the word secretly.

However, if you want to get a sense of his negative view towards America and his positive views towards terrorists read his previous posts.

Concerning being a sympathizer, since you brought up the word, Alger is clearly a Palestinian Terrorist (freedom fighter) sympathizer. Again, read all his posts.

So while I'm sure Mr. Alger doesn't need a lawyer
Nope, just a shrink.

Old 12-22-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Question authority...

you have every right to.

But it's the realists who will be prepared.

Without liberals, there'd be no health care, emancipation proclamation, etc. etc.

And those are all good things that have eventually been accepted by the right (the sane ones, anyway). But there's a fine line between progress and incitement, and unfortunately the American (and worldwide) left has crossed it.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Question authority...

"Without liberals, there'd be no health care, emancipation proclamation, etc. etc."

I'm more than a bit curious as to how you arrived at this conclusion.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Question authority...

Yeah. Health care comes from doctors and the EP was authored by a Republican [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]