Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you pay a fee to use 2+2
No 139 55.60%
Yes, a small fee 94 37.60%
Yes, anything I needed to pay 17 6.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Some NFL polls on Brady, etc.

Didn't Trent Dilfer win 19 straight starts and a super bowl. How important is a QB as long as he doesn't turn the ball over?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:20 PM

TO be fair, if Egderin James doesn't fumble twice in the Red Zone in week 1 the Pats never even see that record.

Cody
Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 PM

"Put Manning (the best) in that pocket with a dominating defense to get him the ball back and they don't lose a game."

Brady and the pats did this for a hell of a span.

As i have state before, i have two problems with Manning.
1. Hes inflexible. If you look at the game film from last week the Colts had no problems moving the ball when they were in the two min drill. Which they did twice- once at the end of the first half, and once at the end of the game. Both times they had shots at touchdowns (though the second time it was irrelevent at that point). But the rest of the game Manning surveryed the defense, called his audibles, did his production, and then the Patriots fell into their real D, so Manning was basically guessing the whole game. He let the pats dictate the flow when he was on the field. He failed to make the adjustments nessecary to win the game, so they lost.
2. He costs 80 mill. He has crippled his team in terms of the salary cap. Dungy is one of the better defensive coaches in the nfl, but they struggle year in and out because the spend 80% of their dough on offense.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. He costs 80 mill. He has crippled his team in terms of the salary cap. Dungy is one of the better defensive coaches in the nfl, but they struggle year in and out because the spend 80% of their dough on offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the worst argument ever. He costs so much precisely because he is the best. Basically with this argument you are saying you would rather have Brady because you don't have to pay him that much because he isnt very good. How does that make him a better QB than Manning?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:35 PM

So you fail to address my main point and then....

You may see it as a poor point- but i was asked who would i rather have? in today's nfl you have to be cap conscious, and i never pay a player as much as manning makes.
secondly, he makes so much because his stats are so gaudy- if you want to make the argument that stats are the most important thing, then you go right ahead. But i will take super bowl victories any day. Thats what i want as a fan, that's what i would want as an owner (well actually big merchandising deals, and full stadiums as an owner).
I think Manning is way overpaid precisely because people put to much of an emphasis on stats, and i think there are at least three Qb's who could put up very similar numbers on that team.
Culpepper, Manning, Mcnabb. Hell, i think that Hassleback could put up some tremendous numbers if they ever gave him recievers who could hold on to the ball. Put him on the Packers this year and i think they do better than they did with Farve (much as i love the guy).
Old 01-21-2005, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Culpepper, Manning, Mcnabb. Hell, i think that Hassleback could put up some tremendous numbers if they ever gave him recievers who could hold on to the ball. Put him on the Packers this year and i think they do better than they did with Farve (much as i love the guy).

[/ QUOTE ]

Put any of those guys on the Patriots and they win just as many games as Brady has.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:38 PM

Actually, that is the whole Belichek design under the salary cap rule of assigning each position a specific value and not over paying for any position. That is why Lawyer Milloy, the best safety in the league. was cut. Because he demanded too much money (which he probably deserved, I dunno). Do you get it now? Why Belichek wouldn't overpay for every position int he Colt's offense?

PS. how much control does Belichek have over personenel decisions? I am grossly uninformed in this department?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That drive should never have happened. Even madden said with :48 seconds left the Pats should play for OT.....

[/ QUOTE ]

And it sure is a good thing John Madden doesn't coach the Patriots.

Seriously, Why would you take a knee to get a situation where you might never see the ball again when you already have the ball with a chance for a game winning drive.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:44 PM

yeah- but Mcnabb, Culpepper, And Manning have all been in big games and put up goose eggs. All three multiple times. When Brady does that maybe i will consider you statements about them being good enough to lead my team when i have the choice.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah- but Mcnabb, Culpepper, And Manning have all been in big games and put up goose eggs. All three multiple times. When Brady does that maybe i will consider you statements about them being good enough to lead my team when i have the choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your problem is that you equate the teams performance with that of the quarterback.

Take Culpepper for example. The biggest game he was in was the 2000 NFC championship. The Vikings were down 14-0 before Culpepper ever touched the ball, was that Culpepper's fault?