Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: How many poker pros can net over $150k per annum?

Good post.

I too have had some burn-out issues and 'getting motivated' issues when it comes to playing online.

But I'm making significantly more money with significantly less effort playing poker online than any other job I've ever had before and that's typically motivation enough....and I'm not even close to the $150k/yr level (yet).

I just have to think back on some of my previous jobs...or just give my GF a call (whom I now have the flexibility to see whenever she's available since my schedule is of my choosing). She's a nurse at a hospital and her 12-hour shift of 7a-7p are really more like 6:45a-7:45p more often than not and she is COMPLETELY exhausted (not to mention that she's dealing with all kinds of icky stuff like blood, puke, IV's, etc etc).

Then I think about some of the jobs I had through college (summers...and through the school-year) and even post-college (when I was struggling a bit)....and it was pretty darned hard.

Even the jobs in my own 'field' which I really enjoyed (through college and post-college) were quite the grind (and didn't pay a whole bunch).

Lets fact it....a lot of office-type jobs are more like 50-60 hours a week, not 40. And if you have an idiot/rude boss/supervisor it can be pretty dismal.

Obviously there are 'good' jobs out there too that pay decently and are in pleasant/enjoyable work environments...but there are a WHOLE BUNCH of jobs out there that are just not that great.

And pushing yourself to play a few more hours of online-poker while watching the game on TV (or some Clint Eastwood movie or something) really seems to pale comparitively.

Especially when you consider the 'make your own hours' aspect.....work a couple hours, go out and goof-off, comeback and home and work a couple more hours.

I really have no complaints about doing this full-time.
We'll see if my tune changes in 12-24 months if the games deteriorate or I REALLY get burnt out or if I happen to hit a horrendous losing slide.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Suggestion: Before going pro, take a job digging ditches or tarring the roads or managing a sales office or being an administrative assistant or working at Kash N Karry or being a babysitter or being an associate professor of philosophy or being a pool cleaner eight to ten hours a day, then work that job for, oh, say six years.

Then tell somebody about burning out at the poker table.

"I feel like I'm burning out on my job."

Scenario 1 reaction: "Sir, I realize we're busy, but may I have a (day/week/month) off so that I can regain my humanity?"

Scenario 2 reaction: "Man, I love the beach."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to print that off and stick it up on my wall.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:04 PM

I'm sure there are more than a thousand, but if there's more than 20 who post regularly on this forum I'd be surprised.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:48 PM

20 people on this forum that can make over 150k from poker in a year? you are insane sir!
Old 11-27-2004, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
20 people on this forum that can make over 150k from poker in a year? you are insane sir!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well there is a big difference between *can* make and actually do.

40 hours a week x 45 weeks a year, you'd need to make $85 an hour playing online poker. If you playing 8-12 tables, you could do that easy even at the lower limits.

There aren't many people that want to do that though.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM

I would like to find the answer to "do make $ 150,000" per annum.

I would think everyone "wants" to make that much, few "can" (have the ability to) make that much, and very very few actually "do" make that much.

But I guess like salaries, we will never know what people really make.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the answers to this poll suggest more then 20 in this forum

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1
Old 12-04-2004, 11:27 AM

when I'm getting burned out from playing 1000 or so hands/day, I think back to working 50hrs/week in construction(hanging air conditioning ductwork to be exact). Not that there's anything wrong with that, I knew a bunch of guys who loved to go to work. Motivation for me is fear of going back.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 AM

There are plenty enough that do. I have no doubts.