Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2002, 06:50 PM

Default 5-4, 5-3 or 4-3 .......................

When checked to on the end by an opponant you are sure is on a draw you should not bet. Betting the river in this spot will NOT make you money. If he is on the draw he will not call you. I don't care if KGB had top two or a set, he should not have bet $100 much less his whole stack. Therefore the only hands I can put KGB on to justify his play are 54, 53, or 43. If he has one of these holdings he will lose if he checks behind Damon. Remember he put him on a draw, probably a hand with an 8 or 9 in it. Since Mike MISSED he won't call a bet. Therefore by betting it all he wants Mike to fold. This is why it is important to put an opponant on a range of hands then narrow it down as the hand progresses. His locked first read cost him his whole stack.
Old 11-21-2002, 11:05 PM

Default Re: doesn\'t say in the screenplay......................

test
Old 11-22-2002, 05:07 AM

Default Re: It doesn\'t matter what he had......................

Broker,

You are correct only if Teddy really puts Mike on a draw. But suppose Teddy really puts Mike on a lower set or some such two pair hand and he wants to get paid off. He knows Mike is exhibiting amateurish tells, but in Teddy's mind he rates that Mike is holding a lower set. Teddy's mistake here, then, is not considering the possibbility that Mike is holding the nuts. But that does not make any of his plays wrong, only his reaction of incomprehensibility when he loses to a hand he might have suspected.

In this scenario, Teddy's talk of draws is meant to suck Mike in. He is taking Mike's tells and twisting them to his benefit, only he misreads Mike's hand. Now, you might argue that this is a ridiculous contrivance, but all of these moves are not beyond a player of Teddy's caliber.

Generally, though, I agree that the final hand is filled with problems. If Teddy believes Mike is on a draw, his bet makes no sense, unless he believes Mike's draw was to overcards including an ace.

Mike
Old 11-22-2002, 10:59 AM

thebroker, what were the amateur tells that Mike gave off during the movie?
Old 11-22-2002, 11:08 AM

I too wondered about how he got a game going the night he got out of the clink. I didn't think about the car though.

What about how he took Petrovsky's check for $10,000 to the checks cashed place and they gave him exactly $10,000? What, are they just operating out of charity?
Old 11-22-2002, 12:11 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: 5-4, 5-3 or 4-3 .......................

remember....they also implied that teddy was rattled from the 'oreo' incident. so he couldve been tilting a little here, which clouds his judgement...

a reason for betting the river? easy...so they dont see your hand. that is actually quite a benefit. if you bet on the river and rarely have to show, after awhile youre going to have more control over your opponent. soon he'll be wondering just what you are betting the rivers with and will call.

i do agree about overbetting the pot though. but again, teddy was supposed to be tilting a little...

b
Old 11-22-2002, 01:10 PM

I put Teddy on AA before seing this thread. Perhaps as was suggested here he had a set of tens and was baiting Mike with the whole "you're on a draw?" thing when he (correctly) read Mike as very strong. That does seem quite plausable. His river bet would make sense with either of these 2 holdings. Ace-Ten doesn't seem as likely but could still be possible.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:07 PM

If you guys really care what his intended hand was try posting the question on RGP. Either the screenwriter of the writer of Rounders posts there ocassionally and may be willing and able to clarify the holding. You might want to do a google search on RGP as well and find the thread to which I am referring. Ok I did the search for you here is his name and e-mail address:
Brian Koppelman, (co-writer of Rounders)
bkoppelman@aol.com)
and here is the thread at RGP:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...gambling.poker

Old 11-22-2002, 03:12 PM

Koppleman posted on RGP that Petrovsky told Mike (paraphrasing here, I don't have the exact quote handy) that, "...he knows someone who will cash the check for him, no questions asked..." but that scene was edited out due to time constraints.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:20 PM

Ever watch the trailer on the DVD? They have blurbs of scenes that are cut out. For example, the guy Worm plays with in Prison is in some game with them in the city somewhere.. and he says something like "Notice how he wins EVERY SINGLE TIME HE DEALS?".. Also the argument between Mike and his girlfriend has different dialogue which is kind of funny. I wonder what this other "city game" was that they were supposed to play.. and if it meant getting rid of Worm's opening scene in jail. yes I have had way too much time on my hands [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]