Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Making the Jump....33 to 55

I started off by doing around 50 11s-55s (20 $55s the rest mainly $33s). Decent success. Then I did a coaching deal with Irie and played around 450 $33s then dropped to the $22s for 250. I would move up to the $55s now (took a stab 3-4 weeks ago), but I'm looking to add more tables (6 more) so it'll be a few more weeks before I make the move.

I really haven't put in the hours so far (just over 3 months of sngs), but am finally getting serious. 140 sngs played over the last 3 days the net has worked. Minimum of 50 a day from now on.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:24 PM

From my brief stab at the 55s I got the impression you could be more aggressive when it's shorthanded? Larger stacks, people are less desperate so less likely to call. They are also marginally more skillful, so have a better respect for the GAP???
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 PM

"I can say this with absolute certainty: "

That's obviously not correct. Greater number of profitable players at the $33s reduces your edge, so your ROI drops. You think the effect isn't great (but you'd be a fool to say there is no effect), other think it is.

My opinion is that you'll earn slightly more per hour at the 33s, but it's not significant enough for the move up to be a MUST. I did have this opinion before Irie posted (I was playing $22s before then), so it is my own. I'm also planning to skip the $33s (so my 'career' = $33s=> $22s => $55s and hopefully then the $109s.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think agresive play in the bubble is very important, ppl won t play back at u at least they have a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Valenzuela, what is your definition of the bubble? My definition is 4 people. This post was regarding 5 or 6. That, IMO, is not the bubble. Otherwise, your comment is correct. Your inference, IMO, is not.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean Degen prefers to eak into the money-- while scuba prefers to go balls to the walls and pick up chips when blinds are big? "

hehe...quite the opposite actually

Degen

j/k Scuba...don't go full-blown again

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't, but I think there still seems to be some mistakes by players on this forum. Going "looney" 6 handed is a mistake. Going "looney" 4 handed is not. There are some quality arguments to increasing your "looniness" 5 handed. 4 handed, if you're not pushing at least 2 of the 3 blinds (and btw, picking up your BB because of the fear of your looniness), you're probably playing too tight.

Now what to do when there's someone at your table playing that strategy? Well, that's an interesting discussion.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM

The Bubble is when there is one player left, at least when they are 3 ppl that pay. When 100 places pay, the bubble is more like the 10 last guys.
Anyway I just meant that I dont fold into the money, I would say my bubble play is ehhh...gappy.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:02 PM

"and btw, picking up your BB because of the fear of your looniness"

This always puts a smile on my face. Gotta lay down the law.