Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 08:52 PM

Default Thanks Big Jon. I appreciate your comments. (n/t)

Old 11-08-2003, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Clarification needed in Carson\'s Book

You might even prefer to see a raise, the better to drive out other players.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Clarification needed in Carson\'s Book

[ QUOTE ]
And more importantly, you certainly don't want to create the image of someone who'll fold when faced with a little pressure on the flop. Then everybody'll be raising you with middle pair, flush draws, etc. and you'll be giving up too many winning hands.

More truth [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in part, but don't you think this statement deserves clarification? A holdem novice may read this and mistakenly assume the tactic will work in most low-limit games. In such games, most players won't be observant enough to notice how you play.

Most importantly, even in tough games, if you haven't bet on the flop and then fold when there is action, you have given no clue as to whether you'll "fold when faced with pressure on the flop." How many of us even pay attention to the check/fold when it isn't heads up? For all they know, the flop missed you entirely. In a multi-way pot, I want to observe where the action starts. If a rock bets, I gladly fold. If a maniac bets, I may raise out those sitting between us. Couldn't it be argued that in situations like this a check gains information? I would say the prescribed move, betting, is useful only certain conditions.