Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2002, 06:45 PM

Default Re: contributions

"Mason ought to ban anonymous posters"

That was me being succinct. My point is that people that attack regularly contributing posters on this forum with one line slam dunks and then sign off with an anonymous name are cowards.

And as far as you finding me "undesirable"..thank you for confirming that my super duper "Geek Repel" is a success.

desire
Old 07-20-2002, 07:06 PM

"My point is that people that attack regularly contributing posters on this forum with one line slam dunks and then sign off with an anonymous name are cowards."

So your remedy is to give them a one-liner back? And since I don't know who you are, you are an anonymous poster as far as I am concerned.

As for calling me a geek, here are the stats:

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Sports played: Football, basketball, lacrosse, snowboarding

Marital status: Married

Other non-geek items of interest: Tattoos, play drums in rock band

I did do well in school and have a college degree, but that makes me a good student, not a geek. If you don't believe me, I'll be in Vegas next weekend and would be more than willing to prove it.
Old 07-20-2002, 07:29 PM

Default Umm..start without me *NM*

Old 07-20-2002, 08:05 PM

She contributed "profiling is inherently wrong".

I suppose it's inherently right to place millions of lives in danger so as not to inconvenience certain people. Come on.
Old 07-20-2002, 09:10 PM

Default I never offered to start with you *NM*

Old 07-20-2002, 09:43 PM

Default I oughta start charging you guys 4 education *NM*

Old 07-21-2002, 03:26 AM

Default rebuttal to response, i guess

"Thirdly, why would anyone wish to expose oneself to crap? Once you recognize it is crap, flush it!"

well, if there weren't any crap around we wouldn't know what we were missing, and some of the good stuff might not seem so good, without the crap to remind us how good it is. also, i don't think that elroy is full of crap, or has crap at the heart of his posts, or his ideals. i think he is a sharp and witty thinker who sometimes comes across different than he wants to, or should. he has a lot of good ideas, not necessarily things we should follow blindly, but good insights and ways to think and approach things. those are valuable things in this world, and i believe 2+2 is better for it. i don't always agree with elroy, but that doesn't mean that he should be banned, or even boycotted (yes i understood what you meant, no i don't think that addressing the term reflects on my priorities as much as you feel it does. although i understood what you meant, isn't the goal of language to express what we mean as preciesly as possible?). on the contrary, i think that instead of ignoring/boycotting him, we should read his posts with a keen eye, and try to see what he is saying through some of the misguided terms and opinions.

politically correct is neither here nor there, as far as im concerned. im really not that afraid to offend people.

i never said you lead a sheltered existence. i was referring to the extreme hypothetical example of where you kind of thinking can lead us, if we boycott blindly. im sure you've lived a full life, with plenty of wonderful eye-opening experiences. kudos! so have i. however, even the experiences you hint at don't necessarily make for an unsheltered existence. our reality is what we construct from our experiences, not the experiences themselves. and trying to get a bunch of people to boycott another poster because you *think* he posts racist or hateful things leads down the path to the sheltered existence you speak of. you are certainly free to never click on a post of elroy's. but what is the point in trying to get the rest of us to do the same?

"If they have rational arguments, I will gladly listen. If they spout hate, I will not."

see, for me, even if someone is spouting hate, i will listen. it will not change me, but i will listen. for we all need to be heard sometimes. but i will then gladly respond, and dialogue with said spouter-of-hate and try dig deeper at the root of the issue. i don't write people off because i disagree with them.

i couldn't care less who else is behind elroy. can 1000000 elvis fans be wrong?

ps - this rebuttal is not formal. in fact, i don't even think it responds to the post in the right order. i think its still pretty cohesive, though.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:32 AM

Default proof

"Height: 6'4"

Weight: 225 lbs.

Sports played: Football, basketball, lacrosse, snowboarding

Marital status: Married

Other non-geek items of interest: Tattoos, play drums in rock band

I did do well in school and have a college degree, but that makes me a good student, not a geek. If you don't believe me, I'll be in Vegas next weekend and would be more than willing to prove it. "

anybody who feels they need to post credentials to prove that they are not a geek is missing the point by a mile. playing football definitely doesn't stop you from being a geek. being an all-around jock doesn't keep you from being a geek. then again, i gladly embrace the title of GEEK, so maybe you're not worthy of it after all...
Old 07-21-2002, 06:44 AM

Default Flawed; The Sure Path to Delusion

NG: "I have formulated my personal ideals directly from my personal experience."

This is the sure road to delusion (and to conflict with others) because everyone is guaranteed to have such widely differing experiences. Logic, not experience, should be the cornerstone of our world view. Experience should add flavor, color and background but should not supersede logic except to the degree to which it cannot be helped.

Old 07-21-2002, 09:53 AM

Default odd coincidence: NG\'s grammar looks alot like mine *NM*