Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: PokerShare - CROCK!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This post is a "crock"!

They spent nothing for good publicity in a country where they can't legally advertise. How is that a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now they also have another poker forum thread about them! Cheaper then a pokershare.net commercial! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even cheaper than the pokershare.net domain name itself (a whopping $9)! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 PM

Such gimmicks can be a great marketing strategy for poker sites (or any other business that relies heavily on reputation).

The idea is that they are spending money signaling that they are in it for the long haul.

Strategy in a nutshell - customers may be worried that the poker site will accept their deposits, then pack up and disappear with all the customers' money. By spending money on what may appear to be a useless gimmick, the site signals that they aren't going to do so - if they were, why would they spend millions of dollars to try to rename a town? In other words, that they are trying to get a town to change their name indicates that the site plans to have that name for a long time, something that should assuage the fears of many potential customers.

Not to mention they got on Fox News...
Old 09-28-2005, 08:38 PM

Let me make a couple thkngs clear :

1)This is a REAL offer, so don't give me this "it's free advertising because they didn't spend a penny". They didn't spend a penny because the town said no, but had they said yes, that money was spent. I suspect that money will go to some other town willing to sell its soul.

2)This was not a Fox News story. It appeared in a little hometown paper to which then one of its readers sent it to a special part of Fox News' website called "Out There". It's sort of a Jay Leno "Headlines" type things with crazy, oddball stories.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me make a couple thkngs clear :

1)This is a REAL offer, so don't give me this "it's free advertising because they didn't spend a penny". They didn't spend a penny because the town said no, but had they said yes, that money was spent. I suspect that money will go to some other town willing to sell its soul.

2)This was not a Fox News story. It appeared in a little hometown paper to which then one of its readers sent it to a special part of Fox News' website called "Out There". It's sort of a Jay Leno "Headlines" type things with crazy, oddball stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. The offer was very real. Although it's quite obvious they chose a very conservative town that would NEVER accept it. Why do you think they only offered $100K? If the town actually accepted they could easily swing $100K and that would give them a HUGE amount of publicity (well worth the $100K).

2. The story was all over the news, just as they knew it would be. A person sending it to Fox's website had nothing to do with it being reported around the country. Do you think that "little hometown paper" was the only news source in the country that ran that story??

Just admit it...it was a very good idea. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-28-2005, 11:25 PM

With all the different golden-palace gimmicks like buying the grilled-cheese sandwich and what-not it seemed there were a LOT of 2+2'ers saying "well...for $25k they sure got a TON of national publicity" and I tend to agree.

In this situation, they got the publicity for free and probably could have guessed that the town wouldn't take it.
But if the town WOULD take it then an entire town would be called that PERMANENTLY. People would continue to talk about it.
there would be jokes about:
"why don't you go freaking move to pokershare-dot-com, Kentucky?"
"ha ha....whatever dude."
"No. I'm serious. That's the name of a REAL town. You didn't hear about it. They paid them to name themselves that."
"Really? That's CRAZY."

etc etc.

To that end...I would think that a starting-up poker-site IF they have the capital would want to consider spending MORE to such a town because the long-term advertising they would receive (CNN stories on what it's like to live in Pokershare-dot-com) would very possibly be worth it.