Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 03:47 AM

Default Re: Is cocaine bad for you?

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding any of you who maintain that doing coke is not in fact bad for you, please let me know if you play poker while coked up and on what site and what limits. And are you willing to play for bigger stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this have to do with anything? A relevant proposition would be playing a coke user in general.

I drink alcohol. Does that mean I can only play while drinking? Use some freaking common sense.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:05 AM

I am willing to play against you when you are drinking too, not just coked up, as long as the stakes are big enough. And I don't believe that people who regularly get high or drunk, are likely to be selective of what activities they do when in such a state.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am willing to play against you when you are drinking too, not just coked up, as long as the stakes are big enough. And I don't believe that people who regularly get high or drunk, are likely to be selective of what activities they do when in such a state.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty [censored] stupid considering the majority of this board are young, college kids many of whom drink heavily and are much better players than yourself.

Honestly, what world do you live in that you think because someone chooses to drink or use drugs that they have no control over themselves. I can't believe someone is this naive. Do you not undertsand the concept of a functioning addict? Or what about selective users? Seriously...
Old 09-15-2005, 04:12 AM

I can easily afford cocaine and have tried it three times. Although, I doubt i will use this more than 10 times from now to the time i die. I just don't see anything too exciting about the drug and the benefits are minimal IMO. From what i've gathered, I don't really believe there is a physical addiction, but i guess i can see how others form psychological dependencies. I think the fact that coke is made into crack is what really confuses people about the true effects of just cocaine.

Honestly, I don't see why the public gets so riled up about some of these illegal drugs when alcohol is apparently far worse. On top of coke, I have tried ecstacy, ketamine, codeine, mushrooms and weed/hash and, aside from mushrooms (which is about equal), alcohol fucks-me up far, far worse than anything else.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you not undertsand the concept of a functioning addict?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

Yeah I've know a lot of "functioning addicts" on the poker scene over the years. They usually functioned until they OD'd or got cirrhosis of the liver or got messed up in a car wreck from driving that way. Or until their boss had had it with 1 too many times them showing up still feeling the effects and not really functioning on the job.

I am not talking here about having a few beers occasionally, or even 2 or 3 a day. But getting high on drugs is the same as being drunk, and if you do either regularly for a long enough period of time it will be reflected in your life's results. And while I am sure that there are many college kids here who might be better poker players than myself, I am also quite sure that of those who are and who play at the same stakes I do (1K/2K buyins in plo and nl), there are 0% who play while high.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am also quite sure that of those who are and who play at the same stakes I do (1K/2K buyins in plo and nl), there are 0% who play while high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask and report back. I'll bet $100 straight up that there are some posters who play those games occasionally while high.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a doctor or otherwise knowledgable about the physical side effects of cocaine, but I can tell you that nearly all of the users I have known became dependent on (addicted to) it. From my own experience I can say that as soon as you start to come down (even the first time) you want more. And more. Bad news IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like poker. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I've never tried cocaine, but many, if not most, of my friends in college used it recreationally. (My friends and I are all musicians, and I suspect drug use is unusually high among that group.) A couple in the group ended up having serious substance abuse problems, but most stopped using after college years, and have become very successful.

Obviously, that's all anecdotal. Cocaine is like any other drug or alchohol (or gambling) in that there is some risk of addiction, but when used in moderation causes minimal harm.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Getting down to it

[ QUOTE ]
I can easily afford cocaine and have tried it three times. I just don't see anything too exciting about the drug and the benefits are minimal IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah.

But what if the benefits are not minimal? And the drug is exciting ? What then ?

Here's the relevant lines (no pun intended) from Trainspotting :

[ QUOTE ]
People think [heroin's] all about misery and desperation and death and all that sh*t which is not to be ignored, but what they forget is the pleasure of it. Otherwise we wouldn't do it. After all, we're not f*cking stupid. At least, we're not that f*cking stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-16-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am also quite sure that of those who are and who play at the same stakes I do (1K/2K buyins in plo and nl), there are 0% who play while high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask and report back. I'll bet $100 straight up that there are some posters who play those games occasionally while high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I not get a response to this?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:16 AM

Firstly, I wouldn't trust anything an anonymous online player told me in chat. And secondly, since I am a winning player at the limits I gave, the odds that anyone who is better than me regularly plays high are obviously so small as to not be worth trying to demonstrate.

Allow me to turn this around. You go multitable those limits while high every night for a month and report back to us next month and tell us how you did.