Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Is it possible to run bad for two months? (low Content

A year's worth of living expenses is a lot of money to set aside before going to work. And even if you have that, a couple of months of losing or breaking even at you JOB still stings. I took a $1200 hit when I was four tabling 2/4 Holdem earlier this year, and I found myself unable to play well for a time after losing over a third of my BR. And I do regular meditation and read stoic philosophy as well as every other type of mental training I could fit in between breaking even after that. I really think that after a really bad run what happens to you and how you play goes past the merely psychological and starts entering the neurological. Everyone here can shrug off a hand full of bad beats or a week long losing streak, but when things go on longer perception of the world starts to change despite your best efforts. You don't even realize when you start missing raises or value bets. It's similar to how IQ tests can swing drasticly within one person (sometimes close to 15 points or 1 standard deviation either way(that's average to genius)) depending on very complex psychological and environmental factors. That is why I suggested learning a new game, vacations don't always cut it (a bender probably will Beer).
Old 09-13-2005, 03:26 PM

Excellent post.
I’m just recovering from a 4-month break-even streak and then losing 5k in 3 weeks (a 5-month losing streak I guess), and I very much agree that learning a new game will do you a lot of good. I started to play SNGs recently and it really helped me (just booked a nice $600 win today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I guess it’s just that when your losing at stud every time you play you’re not having fun anymore, whereas playing a new game is usually a lot of fun. Simple as that.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Most of you have probably read this, but its worth posting again.
That which we shall not speak of