Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 02:10 AM

Default Re: Suicide bombers

While I much prefer the term "suicide bomber", the rest of your post is pretty much garbage.

[ QUOTE ]
This is the same bullshit as the term "Sharpshooter" in replace of the word "Sniper".

So let me get this straight ...

US Army shoots somebody in the head from 300 ft = Sharpshooter (implies 'good shot, best at what he does')

Anyone else shoots anybody else in the head from 300 ft = Sniper (implies 'coward, assassin, threat to society)

?

It's funny how the "Wasington Sniper" wasn't called the "Washington Shapshooter" by FOX News.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so ill-informed, that I'll probably miss a few of the multitude of blatant errors, but here goes:

1. "Sharpshooter" was the first term, not "sniper".

etymology dictionary

Where has "sharpshooter" been inappropriately used?

2. The word sniper "implies 'coward, assassin, threat to society)" as opposed to the US Army's sharpshooters which imply "good shot"??

Strange. That must mean that the US Army must be intentionally training a bunch of "cowardly threats to society" at it's Army Sniper School

3. Also passing strange that they would design rifles especially for these "cowardly threats to society" and actually call them "sniper rifles" .

4. What is it with your absurd fascination with Fox? All the media used the term "sniper" rather than "sharpshooter". For example, searching CNN for "sniper Malvo" gives 220 hits. Searching CNN for "sharpshooter Malvo" gives 0 hits.

5. The reason that the word "sniper" was used by everyone rather than "sharpshooter" is because that is the more precise term. Hmm, the very reason you claim to prefer "suicide bomber". If you knew what the words REALLY meant, instead of your invented definitions, maybe you wouldn't be so confused.

A "sharpshooter" is merely "a good marksman", while a "sniper" [shoots] "at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage"
Old 09-03-2005, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
While I much prefer the term "suicide bomber", the rest of your post is pretty much garbage.

[ QUOTE ]
This is the same bullshit as the term "Sharpshooter" in replace of the word "Sniper".

So let me get this straight ...

US Army shoots somebody in the head from 300 ft = Sharpshooter (implies 'good shot, best at what he does')

Anyone else shoots anybody else in the head from 300 ft = Sniper (implies 'coward, assassin, threat to society)

?

It's funny how the "Wasington Sniper" wasn't called the "Washington Shapshooter" by FOX News.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so ill-informed, that I'll probably miss a few of the multitude of blatant errors, but here goes:

1. "Sharpshooter" was the first term, not "sniper".

etymology dictionary

Where has "sharpshooter" been inappropriately used?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I never claimed Sharpshooter didn't came first, "sniper" has always been the accepted term or usage.

One must question why FOX News has decided to dig up an archaic word like "Sharpshooter" in replace of the well-established "Sniper" especially in these times and considering the affiliations the newtork has.

Hmm.

[ QUOTE ]

2. The word sniper "implies 'coward, assassin, threat to society)" as opposed to the US Army's sharpshooters which imply "good shot"??

Strange. That must mean that the US Army must be intentionally training a bunch of "cowardly threats to society" at it's Army Sniper School

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if in time this school will be rebranded "Sharpshooter School"?

Or is generally regarded that they only have to change terms to suit idiots that watch FOX News?

[ QUOTE ]

3. Also passing strange that they would design rifles especially for these "cowardly threats to society" and actually call them "sniper rifles" .

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you helping my case or your own?

Just another example of the word "sniper" being established for this craft, yet that word is 'anathema' when it is applied to US Army snipers on FOX News, but ok for any terrorists et al?

Strange.

[ QUOTE ]

4. What is it with your absurd fascination with Fox? All the media used the term "sniper" rather than "sharpshooter". For example, searching CNN for "sniper Malvo" gives 220 hits. Searching CNN for "sharpshooter Malvo" gives 0 hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, all the media do use the correct term "sniper" except FOX.

I take it you know nothing about FOX News' practices and affiliations which is why on a 'surface' level to you it looks absurd, but if you dig a little deeper you'll see it's not.

Ofcourse I know you haven't seen the documentary "Orwell rolls in his grave" and thus you don't understand. (Outfoxed is another one, but Orwell is more intelligent)

[ QUOTE ]

5. The reason that the word "sniper" was used by everyone rather than "sharpshooter" is because that is the more precise term. Hmm, the very reason you claim to prefer "suicide bomber". If you knew what the words REALLY meant, instead of your invented definitions, maybe you wouldn't be so confused.

A "sharpshooter" is merely "a good marksman", while a "sniper" [shoots] "at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage"

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend, you are the one who seems to be confused.

A "bad marksman" cannot hit the target from a concealed vantage point (usually from in or on tall buildings, or mountainous terrain etc)

Thus 'snipers' are 'sharpshooters', but the term sharpshooter tries to hide the negative aspect of sniping. (It is not considered an incredibly 'noble' job - "assassinating" your enemy without meeting him face to face in battle etc)

Cheers,
SDM
Old 09-03-2005, 06:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Misguided, mentally deranged, too stupid to know better.
Although evil is a possibility, the above is more likely.

[/ QUOTE ]Misquided - yes the leadership is really to blame in all instances. As well as in my own country.
Mentally Deranged - not in the slightest
Stupid - actually quit educated.
Evil - I'm not sure but I'd like to understand them to find out.
If what I said(and it is) is true does that change your opinion?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean to suggest that citizens are also agents of the state. I don't see why and elected official is more accountable than those who voted for him and continue to support him.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't some people just like to think they are. Anyway it's become obvious that most people think it is justified for soldiers to shoot suicide bombers, but not for suicide bombers to kill soldiers. Probably something to do with non uniformed combatants again, personally for me a bullet is a bullet is a bullet, uniform or not.

Mack